Windows 10 and Office 2015: Stop redisplaying all minimized documents whenever a new one is opened

I have the latest version of Office (bought, not the subscriber 360 version).  I also have Windows 10.  Whenever I have several Word or Excel documents open but minimized and I open a new document all the minimized ones re-display (maximize) to the screen.  I cannot use the fixes suggested in earlier versions of this same problem because the newer Office and Windows programs do not operate the same as the older ones.  This is very annoying.  I minimized those documents for a reason and I do not want to have to re-minimize them again every time I open something new!  Since Office/Windows10 offer various ways to view several documents at a time, this re-maximizing seems totally unnecessary.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Kindly confirm which version of Office suite you are using. Is it Office 2013 or Office 2016?

Provide the following information to assist you further.

1) Is this issue specific with Excel and Word documents? Did you check with other Office application?

2) What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

I look forward to your reply to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Neither.  Apparently, I have Microsoft Office 15 (according to the Program files on my computer).

I only use Excel and Word.  I do not use any other Office apps.

I have searched the Help files for any topic that seems even remotely likely to refer to this problem, but it is hard to guess what key words will find the relevant information.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 15 is Office 2013

Office 16 is Office 2016

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another member of the community has informed me that my Office 15 is in fact Office 2013.  So to answer your question: I have Office 2013 and Windows 10.  I don't use any other Office applications that display windows, just Excel and Word (and Outlook).  I have tried to find answers using the Help function without success.  I have searched online for posts from people with the same problem, but they all refer to earlier versions of Windows and therefore do not help because I cannot follow their steps.

This is a very annoying and totally unnecessary and not useful thing that Windows 10/ Office 2013 do.  Please tell me how to stop it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first link is the one I have already read.  Those fixes don't work, and as one person says, they are just duct tape applied after the problem occurs.  The second link gives re-programming instructions that, since I am not a professional or amateur programmer, I do not want to attempt!  Sorry, but this is not helpful.

I am concluding that for whatever reason even though Microsoft knows about this problem, they are choosing to ignore it.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would very much appreciate a reply from Praveen Venugopal, since only a Microsoft Support Engineer is likely to know how to fix this if it can be fixed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to dash your expectations, but you need to realise that "Microsoft Support Engineers" with names like that are contractors hired by Microsoft to respond to questions in these newsgroups and that is mostly done by them re-gurgitating from a list of canned responses.

People like Jay Freedman have far more knowledge of the workings of Word than probably all of those contractors combined.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As my "handle" suggests, I wasn't born yesterday, and I suspected the "Support Engineer" was like many such people I have consulted in the past who just follow the same links I have already followed and don't really know anything for themselves.

However, I do not want to try to re-write the code as Jay Freedman says to do because I am not knowledgeable in programming and could easily make a small but deadly mistake and not know how to undo it.  I have a relative who is a real programmer and the next time he visits I will ask him to look at Jay's code fix.

At this point, I am just hoping to make enough "noise" to keep the issue alive and maybe some real programmer will notice and fix it in some future update.  Call it a public service :-) 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The place to do that (make noise) is

http://word.uservoice.com/

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2023 Views 1,677 Applies to: