reset Word Style Heading 2 back to default Style

Hello,

I have a document where I changed some of the Styles, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3.

Originally, for example, Heading 2 was Calibri Light, 13 pt, Font color: Accent 1, etc.

In this particular document Heading 2 is Arial, 12 pt, bold, Font color: black or automatic.

How do I change Heading 2 back to the way it was?  I don't see a "reset" button anywhere.  It seems like it should be easy to do, but I can't figure this out.

by the way

I tried this:

Open the Styles pane. Click the arrow next to heading 3 and then Select all X instance(s).  Now Press Ctrl+spacebar to clear direct character formatting (in general, formatting applied from the Font group on the Home tab) and for good measure press Ctrl+q to clear direct paragraph formatting (most formatting applied from the Paragraph group)

but it did not work, the style stayed black text and bold etc

But what DID work in some way, was to go to the Design tab/expand the Style Set section/Reset to the Default Style Set

This reset all the Heading Styles.  Is there a way to just change Heading 2 if it was an issue?

Thank you for any pointers.

Answer
Answer

I'm sure that method worked when I posted in the cited thread a year ago -- I wouldn't have written a specific procedure if I hadn't tried it first to verify -- but now I can't get it to work in any version of Word. The Delete command is grayed out for any of the built-in heading styles.

To reset the style definition, you'll need to locate a document or template that contains the style definition you want. The style must be applied to at least one paragraph in that file. Then:

• Open the document you want to fix.
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S or click the dialog launcher (the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab) to open the Styles pane.
  • Click the Manage Styles button (third button from the left at the bottom of the Styles pane).
  • In the Manage Styles dialog, click the Import/Export button at the bottom to open the Organizer dialog.
  • The list of styles in the open document appears on the left, and the Normal.dotm template (or whatever template the document is based on) appears on the right.
  • If the style definition you want isn't in the template, click the Close File button under it; when it changes to an Open File button, click it again, and use the Open dialog to find and open the file that does contain the correct style.
  • In the list on the right, click the name of the style to fix. Check the Description box to verify that it's what you want.
  • Notice that the "arrow" on the Copy button now points right-to-left, indicating the direction of copying. Click that button, and answer the prompt.
  • Close the Organizer and check that the style in the open document now has the correct formatting. If so, save the file.

And yes, I've just done this procedure in Word 2013, and it works the same way in all versions from Word 2007 through 2016.

43 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 32,819 Applies to: