Chicago-Style Citations in Word 2013

Because I often use substantive footnotes, I’ve long used Chicago-style author–date citations to keep the two entities separate, so I’m quite familiar with Chicago style and with manually managing such references. Given the number of papers that I write, and that I seldom change citation styles, it is difficult for me to justify the cost of a reference manager such as EndNote.

I recently tried handling references with Word 2013, and in the first paper I tried to convert, I encountered numerous problems. I cite just a few examples; all citations of the Chicago Manual of Style are to the 16th edition:

1. Quoted items (e.g., journal articles) in reference lists appear in straight quotes ... um, get serious—it’s no longer 1985.
  2. Multiple entries in parentheses are separated by commas rather than semicolons (CMOS 15.29). APA style manages to get this right.
  3. The citation of a work with three authors is missing the comma before “and” (CMOS 15.9, Book with Multiple Authors).
  4. Unknown author or no author. In the reference list, the date rather than the title is shown first (CMOS 15.32). The entry in the list still appears as if the list were alphabetized by the title. Turabian style seems to get this right, with the title appearing first.
  5. Repeated names in the reference list are replaced with a dash only for a few kinds of works (e.g., if the second occurrence is a journal article, the name is repeated). Moreover, the replacement is a single em dash rather than a 3-em dash (CMOS 15.17).

Ostensibly, it makes far more sense to use a shared, format-independent database of sources than to make every entry manually. But Word’s current implementation is so bad that it is essentially useless. Although it sorta kinda gives results that sorta kinda resemble the indicated styles, it is unlikely that these results would be acceptable in an application that actually required the indicated style.

Some of the problems can be addressed fairly simply by modifying the XSL file for Chicago style. Because—at least as far as I know—the XML schema used by many of the basic templates are not available, so the only solution is to essentially hack the templates by adding hard-coded values. This isn’t elegant, but it’s not likely that I will ever use other than US English, so it probably isn’t a serious problem for me.

Other problems—such as replacement of repeated names in a reference list with 3-em dashes are not as easily addressed because it is no mean feat to analyze and modify an uncommented 7800-line file. And there is something positively absurd about thousands of users doing this individually rather than having Microsoft get it right in the first place.

I am well aware that I am far from the first person to encounter the problems I’ve mentioned. I mention them mainly to add one more voice to a call for a workable implementation of this feature.

Ideally, Microsoft would bite the bullet and revise the XSL files so the results match the styles to which they correspond. Alternatively, the task of fixing the XSL files would be much easier if developer materials—including the XML schema and perhaps commented XSL files were made available.

Does anyone else have any experience or insight into addressing these issues?

Jeff Conrad

Hi Jeff,

Let us refer to the following thread, which discuses similar issue and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/chicago-style-citationsbib-not-correct/68ef4698-08c0-45b4-96cd-c8379324598b

You may also provide the feedback by clicking on the following link.

https://word.uservoice.com/

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Harsha,

I was aware of the thread to which you link. We’re essentially talking about the same issue; I just expanded a bit on the symptoms and the actual question. I wasn’t sure whether to respond there or treat it as a new question. Should the two threads be merged (if that’s possible)?

That thread helps only to confirm that I’m far from the first to encounter this.

The BibWord site doesn’t seem to have anything close to Chicago style; some of the templates (e.g., CSE) have their own problems.

Thanks for providing the feedback link—I’ll certainly provide some comments there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeff

I agree with many of your thoughts. You refer to BibWord in your second post, and the nice thing about BibWord is that Yves has done such a good job, that instead of thousands of lines of undocumented code, you could essentially fix those errors you refer to with minimal input.

I did that, creating a South African Harvard style (downloadable from my website) using one of his base styles, with minimal effort.

Other than that, as an academic, I do a lot of papers, and so I actually do use Mendeley (which is freemium, so for your use, no cost) instead of Word.

Jacques Raubenheimer
http://insight.trueinsight.za.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jacques,

Thanks for the mention of your website—you have some useful material and links.

The “Harvard” styles (interestingly, a description we seldom use in the US) differ quite a bit from Chicago author–date style, so the task would be considerably greater in my case.  So as annoying as it is, cleaning up the Chicago.xls file provided with Word is probably less effort.  The style is actually fairly well designed, though the design is pretty complex.  Again, a proper implementation would be nice, but any documentation—including commented files—would be much better than nothing.  Holding my breath I am not ...

I’ve managed to fix many of the problems, including a few not mentioned above (e.g., repeated authors aren’t sorted by date).  But I knew nothing about XSL until a few days ago, so suppose I may soon be discovering some unintended consequences ...

Jeff Conrad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeff

There is a "beta" Chicago on the BibWord site http://bibword.codeplex.com/releases/view/20331

But it has been in beta for eight years now, so I don't except it to be updated any time soon. But it might provide a starting point.

My feeling about Microsoft's implementation broadly reflects yours, I think.

The tool is an attempt at providing basic functionality, but when it comes to the demands for serious academic referencing, it leaves a lot to be desired.

As a proof of concept, I actually completed a whole Master's thesis with this tool, so it can be enough for a typical student. But I must say that the process was starting to become burdensome as the number of sources grew. For a PhD dissertation, I would be much less optimistic.

It's sort of like the Index tool in Word, which is aeons old.

It does a pretty decent job, and I have indexed two books with it already, but if I were a professional indexer, I would look at one of the commercial packages out there. So there will always be a niche for professional-quality indexing tools, and Microsoft has no pretensions about putting them out of business, and so also there will, methinks, always be a niche for professional-quality referencing tools, and again I suspect Microsoft has no pretensions about putting them out of business.

Jacques Raubenheimer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Chicago beta uses the footnote style rather than author–date, and it doesn’t handle the bibliography.  Word doesn’t even seem to recognize it as an available style.  Chicago footnote style is fairly easy to do with Word footnotes, so the only advantages of a reference style would be to use an existing reference database or to quickly change from one style to the other.

I probably now have a usable version of the Chicago author–date style (at least until something I didn’t fully understand blows up).  That someone with three days experience in XSL can do this suggests that a general fix is a matter of will rather than difficulty.

I cannot believe that I am the only one to have worked on this, yet here I am re-inventing the wheel.  But perhaps most people don’t care.

Jeff Conrad

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think most people get frustrated and then turn to something like Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote, or one of the other RMS programs out there.

And, sad and astonishing as it may seem 32 years after Reference Manager was released (Reference Manager was the first RMS program, but it has now been laid to rest--r.i.p.), my experience is that most academics still seem to be doing their referencing completely manually.

I know, it boggles the mind!

Jacques Raubenheimer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,542 Applies to: