change default text highlight color tool in Word 2013

In word 2013 I can select some text and in the ribbon (Home > Font) click on the tool to highlight the text. The color defaults to yellow. I know that I can click on the dropdown for the tool and select another color and this is OK but not what I want. I want to set the default yellow to one of the available colors thus when I edit any document, select some text and click on the text highlight tool I want it to highlight using my desired color not the yellow without me selecting a color from the dropdown. Is this possible?
Answer
Answer

Since my previous response, I had shut down the Surface Pro on which I have Office 2013 installed and I have not just restarted it and taken the following screen shot which shows the Highlighting Colour still set as Pink which is the colour that I had selected when performing my original test to see if the selection was retained by closing Word and then restarting it.

If you want to use a macro to apply shading to the selected text, the only command that you need is

Selection.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorLightBlue

Or, if you want to use anyone of the 16 million odd colours that are available, use

Selection.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = RGB(0,112,192) which is the same colour as wdColorLightBlue.

When you click on the More Colors...button in the shading colors dropdown, you will see:

The values for Red, Green and Blue range from 0 to 255

RGB(0,0,0) gives Black

and

RGB(255,255,255) gives White

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

In the Styles pane, an entry such as "Pattern: Clear (Accent 6)" does not represent an actual style but instead some direct formatting applied to text. Select the shaded text range and click the New Style  button. In the dialog box, type a style name and choose "Character" in the "Style type" box. In the "Style based on" box, choose "(underlying properties)."

You can easily apply the style to text if you assign a keyboard shortcut, which you can do if you click Format | Shortcut Key. When you are done, click OK to return to the Modify Style dialog box.

If you want to transfer your new style to the attached template, select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK in the Create New Style dialog box.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2023 Views 4,758 Applies to: