Q: Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE This thread is locked from future replies

Dear Support Team:

I own an Acer Aspire with Windows Vista SP2 and Office 2003 Professional installed and I have two issues that I would appreciate advice for if possible.

1. Every time I open MS Office Word 2003 I get the following message:

(Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application’s support team for more information.)

I am able to open the program on a second attempt because it gives me the option of opening it in “Safe Mode.” Obviously this is undesirable since it restricts use of parts of the program. I Googled the problem for a solution but found nothing useful.  Please help!

2. Apparently a number of recommended security updates have been installed on my computer for MS Office 2007 even though I do not have this program installed.  Will it help or hurt my computer to uninstall/delete these updates, and could this be responsible for issue number one?

Thank you

If the program can start in safe mode, the most likely cause of the error is a badly behaving add-in or template. Try disabling all add-ins and start Word then. If that doesn't solve the issue, with the add-ins still disabled, rename (the normal template for Word) so that a new one gets created next time you start Word.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,832 Last updated: December 23, 2017 Applies to: