Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

Dear Support Team:

I own an Acer Aspire with Windows Vista SP2 and Office 2003 Professional installed and I have two issues that I would appreciate advice for if possible.

1. Every time I open MS Office Word 2003 I get the following message:

(Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application’s support team for more information.)

I am able to open the program on a second attempt because it gives me the option of opening it in “Safe Mode.” Obviously this is undesirable since it restricts use of parts of the program. I Googled the problem for a solution but found nothing useful.  Please help!

2. Apparently a number of recommended security updates have been installed on my computer for MS Office 2007 even though I do not have this program installed.  Will it help or hurt my computer to uninstall/delete these updates, and could this be responsible for issue number one?

Thank you

Rob

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 2,902 Applies to:
Answer
If the program can start in safe mode, the most likely cause of the error is a badly behaving add-in or template. Try disabling all add-ins and start Word then. If that doesn't solve the issue, with the add-ins still disabled, rename normal.dot (the normal template for Word) so that a new one gets created next time you start Word.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.