Office 2010 Spellcheck is not working

This week I installed Office Professional Plus 2010 via a download that I purchased from JourneyEd.  Spellcheck in not working in any of the office programs.  I have read and tried most of the ideas already listed. 

I ran a repair this evening which did not help.  I am frustrated. 

Can someone help me figure this out?

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2018 Views 20,564 Applies to:
Answer

Before I posted, I had tried everything listed in the link you provided except for deleting the "hkey."  Finally this morning out of frustration and desperation, I deleted the hkey per the instructions found on the link.  Voila, my spellcheck now works.  Here are the instructions for anyone that might be having the same problem:

1. Click on Office Button | Word Options | Add-Ins | Manage: Disabled Items. If you see any disabled items that relate to spelling, try enabling them.
  2. If the previous suggestion doesn't help, then:
    a. Close Word and any other open applications.
    b. Click on Start | Run | Open and type "regedit" (without the quotation marks).
    c. If the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override exists, delete it.
    d. Exit the Registry Editor.
    e. Restart your computer.

So far, I haven't encountered any of the potential problems listed below:

Important Note: Although in most cases this operation will correct the problem, it could create a new one if you have installed a third-party spelling checker. Third-party companies use the Override key to redirect spellchecking to their speller instead of the built-in Office lexicon. But if the third-party checker works only for English, say, but disables the built in spell checker for all languages, then spell checking might work in English (using the third-party speller) but not in French or Spanish. Deleting the Override key will restore function for English, French, and Spanish (using the built-in speller) but will disable the third-party add-in.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

This week I installed Office Professional Plus 2010 via a download that I purchased from JourneyEd.  Spellcheck in not working in any of the office programs.  I have read and tried most of the ideas already listed. 

I ran a repair this evening which did not help.  I am frustrated. 

Can someone help me figure this out?

A good place to start is http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm, which has many possible solutions.
If problem still persists, come back.
All the best
DeanH

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.