not a valid Win32 application

I recently purchased and installed on my Vista PC the Office Enterprise 2007.

All went well and seems to be working fine unless I try to open a word file (*.doc) while not in the Word software.  I choose the default to be 2007 Microsoft Office component and get a pop-up error saying

…is not a valid Win32 application.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2018 Views 30,673 Applies to:
Answer

This issue may occur due to the following reasons:

1)       Word is not set as default program to open word documents.

2)       Multiple version of Office.

3)       Incorrect file Association.

To resolve this issue follow the below Steps:

Step1:  Set Microsoft word as a default Program

1)       Click Start -> Control-> Programs-> Programs and Features.

2)       Check for the trial version of Office (e.g.  2007 Microsoft Office System, Office Home and Student 2007etc.)

3)       Uninstall the trial version.

4)       Right click on Word document -> Properties->Change-> select Microsoft Office Word->click ok at the bottom.

5)       If Microsoft office word is not available there, click on Browse->Computer->c:/Programsfiles or Program filesx86 (for vista 64 bit) Microsoft Office-> Office 12->Select Winword.exe-> click ok.

Try to open word document, if still you are not able to open word document follow the instruction provided in Step2.

Step2:  File Association

1)       Click Start -> Default programs-> click on Associate a file type or a protocol with a program.

2)       Look for *.doc and check what is selected under Current default Program.

3)       If Microsoft Office word is listed under Current Default Program, click on change at the top and select Microsoft Office word.

4)       If Microsoft word is not available follow the step 5 mentioned under Step1

5)       Follow the steps 2-4 for *.docx also

Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.