My Word toolbar disappeared

Forgive my lack of correct term usage.  I go to my Desktop.  I click on "Word" icon.  The blank page appears per usual, but the toolbar or task bar at the top is gone.  All the little icons, poof!  In the past, I would click on the first one for a new Document, I would click on the second one, which was an image of a page with a corner bent, for existing files or documents. I store letters, hand made invoices, cut and pasted news articles, etc. on Word pages, or Word files or whatever one should call those.  I know how to open a new Document and I know how to open existing documents, and that's about all I used from that top tool bar.

Anyway, the whole bar is gone.  I looked around on Settings and Control Panel, but it is beyond my abilities to figure out what on earth happened.  Someone please help!  Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 206,872 Applies to:
Answer
From your description, you are using a version of Word that has a menu and toolbars. If only toolbars are missing, but you still have the menu bar (the one that says File Edit View, etc.), then right-click on that and choose Standard and Formatting from the list of toolbars. These are the two that are displayed by default.

If you menu bar is also missing, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions on how to restore

If you do actually have Word 2007, as the "Applies to" states, then you don't have a menu and toolbars but the Ribbon, which can be "minimized" (and in Word 2013 hidden entirely). Here are several ways to bring it back in Word 2007 and above:

1. If the tabs are showing, double-click on any tab, or
  2. Press Alt+F1, or
  3. Click the arrow at the right end of the Quick Access Toolbar (or right-click anywhere on the QAT) and click on "Minimize the Ribbon" (to uncheck it).
  4. In Word 2010, click the down arrow beside the Help button in the upper right corner of the screen.
  5. In Word 2013, click the Ribbon Display Options button beside the Help button in the top right corner of the screen and choose "Show Tabs and Commands."
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com

137 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.