MS Word ONLY blue screen shut down upon opening an word document - even a new one

I have had my Dell labtop for almost 2 years loaded with 64-bit Windows and MS  2007 Home & Student.  All of a sudden I cannot open MS Word without a blue screen appearing and automatic shut down.  The error message includes   BCCode: 3b and BCP1  00000000C0000094 and BCP2  FFFFF960000792BE   and   BCP3  FFFFF880087C8BC0 and   C:\Windows\Minidump\020712-21964-01.dmp and   C:\Users\Tracey Lee\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-84739-0.sysdata.xml.  I just installed a new USB 3G modem and a new HP laserjet printer.  I can print Excel documents but cannot open a Word doc without it crashing. Please help.

I have uninstalled and re-installed MS Home & Student and run a memory check.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2018 Views 2,857 Applies to:
I take it that means the problem still is happening after installing the new download.

I don't know of any permanent changes that a printer driver would make, but it is possible.

First thing, you should make an IMAGE copy backup of your current setup, just in case any of the following steps cause problems. You can get external USB 3 (or USB 2) 1-3 TB HD's for US$100-200.  

After you make the image copy try one of the following procedures:
Non-Destructive Repair Vista / Win7

try doing a nondestructive repair (as opposed to a re-install of Windows) of your Windows installation:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/quick-tip-scan-windows-7-system-files-to-repair-errors/3358

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

http://askbobrankin.com/repair_vista_or_windows_7.html?tbart

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/windows-7-startup-repair-tool-automatically-diagnoses-and-fixes-startup-problems/4504?tag=nl.e042

A no-fuss, nondestructive clean Vista install - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/vista-hands-on-2-a-no-fuss-nondestructive-clean-install/193?tag=rbxccnbzd1

Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data - http://www.pcworld.com/article/212573/reinstall_windows_without_losing_your_data.html

Win7′s (Vista) no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall - http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

When things are bad, you can either:
- cuss,
- cry or
- laugh ...

Why not choose to laugh

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I did download the printer driver from the Internet yesterday (HP website) and installed it after first uninstalling the CD version that came with the printer, as my brother recommended I try that .

Perhaps the first driver made some permanent changes to my computer ?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, so you have proved there is a problem between the new printer driver and Word, and Paint...  So for me that points toward the printer driver itself or the registry entries for it rather than office/word. 

The reason you have the problem in Word even if the printer is not powered up is that when Word starts up, it draws setup information form the Windows default printer driver.

I would uninstall the suspect printer driver, reboot the computer, go the HP website and find that model of printer and download (save to HD) the current driver for your specific Operating system, then run the downloaded installation file.

- cuss,
- cry or
- laugh ...

Why not choose to laugh

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for your advice - it appears to have solved partof the problem.  Please read my reply and let me know if you have any other advice / suggestions.

Kind Regards

Tracey

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for your assistance. I was busy looking up how to back up my Word Regsitry on MS Home & Student @ 2007 when the second "short-cut" suggestion came through.  So I immediately changed my new HP laserjet C1025 to NOT the default printer.  I am gob-smacked - It appears to have worked.  i can now open MS Word and type a new document or view / edit an old document !   Should I continue with your suggestion ?  Will I never be able to make my new printer the default printer ?  (I make wedding invitations & stationery part-time so not being able to use the quick-print option will be really time consuming !!

My blue screen shut downs actually started a while back and then just got worse after installing my new printer - even when the printer is not plugged in !  

But they actually originated in MS Paint.  I was designing an e-mail signature and wanted to incorporate an image and text in an html format - hence Paint.  I am able to draw in Paint - but the minute I open a text box to insert text  -  I get a blue screen shut down !

I checked now to see if this is also fixed.  ironically all the BCCodes are exactly the same as my MS Word shut down, but the minidump info is slightly different :

C:\Windows\Minidump\020812-27300-01.dmp

and

C:\Users\Tracey Lee\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68749-0.sysdata.xml

Are these two shut downs related ?  (they are both linked to text documents).

Why would changing the default printer fix one and not the other ?

I am IT-challenged on a good day< so I really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Tracey

Sorry this didn't help.

Definitely work through the tip Nayana provided. If you want to take a shortcut, try changing the default printer away from the new printer. Word does interact with the default printer when starting so if there is a problem with that interaction if a worst case scenario it could cause a BSD.

the BCP's in your error include error codes. Here is the results of site search for the BCP1 error code: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=error+C0000094&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=&askingquestion=false

If that doesn't help, try searching for BCP2: "error 960000792BE"

- cuss,
- cry or
- laugh ...

Why not choose to laugh

Sorry this didn't help.

Follow the steps provided in the article below then try working on Office Word and check if that helps:

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.