• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

is there a way to have caption label & number in bold but not the title?

Chic76 asked on

i.e. I want:

Figure 2.3 Graph of water content versus time

I can see in Styles & Formatting how to have Caption + Bold or Caption + Not Bold.

I want the title of the Figure/Table etc. to appear in my TOC; so the title needs to be in the caption (I think)?

Cheers!

7 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
hongcc1 replied on

If you know Macro, you can consider converting the manual task to Macro.

Referring to this link: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/6888-how-have-two-formats-caption-style-label.html

The macro is as follow:

Sub CaptionBold() Application.ScreenUpdating = False With ActiveDocument.Range With .Find .ClearFormatting .Text = "" .Style = "Caption" .Replacement.Text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindStop .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchWildcards = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .Execute End With Do While .Find.Found With .Paragraphs.Last.Range.Duplicate .End = .Start + Len(Split(.Text, " ")(0)) + 1 .MoveEndUntil " ", wdForward .Style = "Strong" End With .Collapse wdCollapseEnd .Find.Execute Loop End With Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub

Run the Macro to update the character style to Strong for all the captions.

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

This is basically a manual task. You'd have to apply bold formatting to the caption label and number for each caption.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress