In my TOC, Some of the heading numbers are bold while other heading numbers are not.

I have a TOC

{TOC \o "1-3"}

My level 1 headings come out bold numbers and bold text just as I intended.

My level 2 headings come out nonbold numbers and non bold text just as I intended.

My level 3 headings come out bold numbers and non bold text.  I do not want the heading3 numbers bold in the TOC.

All heading level numbers are set to Arial + bold in the body of the document as intended.

I have verified that TOC3 settings are Arial Regular.

I have verified that the multi-level numbering fonts are all the same (Arial + bold) for each level.

I have copy pasted the TOC code from another document (which comes out correct) into the new document and upon refreshing, the problem persists.

I am thinking that the TOC Field Code is correct, and that the problem must be somewhere else, but where?

Answer
Answer

Assuming that the numbering is coming from the heading style itself and has not been added to the TOC 3 style:

1. Place the insertion point in a Heading 1 paragraph.
  2. Click the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group on the Home tab and select Define New Multilevel List. This should open the Define New Multilevel List dialog with your list (linked to your headings) selected.
  3. Select Level 3 and click Font...
  4. In the Font dialog, all the boxes (Font, Font style, and Size) should be empty. If anything is selected, then clear the boxes and click OK.
  5. I have found that if Bold has been selected, then, even if the boxes are cleared and OK clicked, the number will still be bold. So return to the Font dialog and select Regular, then click OK. If you then return to the dialog, you'll find that the boxes are empty, and this does remove the bolding from the number.

If the numbering has been applied to the TOC 3 style rather than Heading 3, then you'll need to use this procedure for that style instead.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2020 Views 25,273 Applies to: