Q: How can I switch off ctfmon.exe in Windows 7? This thread is locked from future replies

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking from Nuance and MS Office 2003.
My computer runs Win 7 Home Premium  (Acer laptop with i5 Intel Core bought six months ago especially for this purpose)
There is a compatability problem which has MS Word inserting arbitrary capital letters after the cursor, and arbitrarily changing initial letters in dictated sentences. Nuance say I have to switch off ctfmon.exe but I cannot find how to do this.
I've googled it, but all the instructions I have found (including on this site) seem to relate to another OS than the one I am using.
Can anyone help?

Thanks again. I hadn't realised there was a separate tab for speech recognition.

However, these instructions (as at the URL you point to) don't help. On my machine the Runs Speech Recognition at startup box is unchecked, but there's still (apparently) something working in the background.

What would happen if I simply erased ctfmon.exe from my hard drive?

Since ctfmon.exe does not run on my machine, I cannot tell you how to prevent it from running. Erasing the file is an effective but rather brutal approach. You would need to do it like so in order to prevent Windows from restoring it automatically:
  1. Boot into Safe Mode.
  2. Log on under an admin account.
  3. Open a Command Prompt and type these commands:
    cd  /d  "%Windir%\System32"
    copy  ctfmon.exe
    md   ctfmon.exe
This method lets you backtrack in case the absence of the original file causes a problem. Make sure to type the last command without delay. If you wait then Windows will restore the file by itself. Note also that Automatic Updates and Service Packs are likely to restore the file.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12,772 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: