Word 2016 - Create a template that has header and footer only on the first page

I read quite a few posts on how to have header and footer only on the first page in a word document. 

I tried to apply this method to a dotx file (template) but when using the template the next pages get the header and footer. Nothing I tried so far worked.

Does anyone have an idea if this is possible and how to do that

Many thanks

Answer
Answer

Step by step:

• Open the header pane by double-clicking there.
  • If the blue tag attached to the dashed line says "Header" instead of "First Page Header", select any text and/or graphics the header and cut it to the clipboard, leaving the header empty.
  • On the Header & Footer Tools tab of the ribbon, check the box for "Different First Page". The blue tag will now say "First Page Header".
  • Paste or type the header text and/or graphics you want on the first page only.
  • On the Header & Footer Tools tab, click the Go to Footer button.
  • Repeat the preceding steps for the footer text and/or graphics. While "Different First Page" is checked, you'll have to press Ctrl+Enter to create a temporary second page in order to see the original footer and cut it to the clipboard; then delete the manual page break.

If you insert any section break later in the document, by default the new section's first-page header and footer will be linked to (and repeat) the preceding section's first-page header and footer. If that's not what you want, go to the new section's first-page header and click the Link to Previous button in the Header & Footer Tools tab to turn it off, and then repeat that in the new section's first-page footer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2019 Views 278 Applies to: