Optimal computer system specs to reliably use Word to work with long, complex documents? (processor speed, RAM, etc.)

After my so-so experiences with MS Word for Mac (2011), I'm wondering if anyone here has a sense of :

1. Whether MS Word inherently runs more poorly on Mac computers than on PCs, esp. when doing fancy stuff like heavy tracked changes on long, complex documents? (e.g, 20 pages or more, with extensive footnotes, table of contents, etc.). Word slowing down to turtle speed and freezing are the problems I've encountered.

2. What are the optimal computer system specs to reliably use Word to work with long, complex documents? If Microsoft says minimum RAM requirement is 4GB, should I really be using a computer that has more than that? 6GB, 8GB, etc.? What about processor or hard drive type and speed? Etc.

E.g, Would it be crazy to expect MS Word (current or previous version) to run well on a laptop with these specs

Processor: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

Memory: 4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory 

Storage: 256GB PCIe-based flash storage

(Assuming everyday work use would be editing a Word document or two, consulting a few web pages, and maybe i-tunes running. No gaming, video streaming, heavy upload/download processes going on at the same time.)

Any general impressions or experiences you can share would be much appreciated!

I would expect a computer with that specification to be fine

Almost all of my work is done of a computer with the following specification

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Doug for taking the time to paste in those specs! Very helpful. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe computer specs have nothing to do with the problems I've been having with Word. My new system has:

• 2.5 GHz i5
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 500 GB hard drive

..And I'm having the exact same problem I have in the past, of Word freezing when working on long documents. I'm trying to work on a 70-page, 272 KB document, with plenty of tracked changes and comments. Trying to do anything (insert my cursor, type a letter) results in freeze, and CPU use by the Word software shooting up to 99%. This has been such a recurring problem over the past half year that I'm considering a career change just so that I don't have to deal with this software! 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 1,335 Applies to: