APA Style Header in MS Word

Summary
This article will teach you how to create a sixth-edition APA style header in Word. Applies to Word 2010 and Word 2013, possibly applies to other versions. Basic computer skills required.
Details

After you open an empty document, you need to open the header box by double-clicking it.  Now set the page numbers by going into the Page Number dialog box and choosing "Top of Page > Plain Header 1":

Now check the "Different First Page" box in the "Options" menu.  This tells it to not set all the headers the same as the first page's header.

Now you need to type "Running head: " followed by your running head in all caps.  Next enter one or two tabs; the tabs send the page numbers to the other side of the screen:

Do the same thing on the second page, including setting the page number (even if the page number is there, you need to reset it), but without the "Running head: " phrase before your running head.  Also, do not change the "Different First Page" box.  You may need to unlink the pages by clicking the "Link to Previous" button; otherwise you are done:

Sometimes, however, the running head gets messed up.  To solve this, try deleting everything in that header, even the page number, and doing the whole process over for that page.  If this doesn't solve the problem, try deleting that page and re-doing it (be sure to copy your text first).  This will often solve the problem.

Forum Article Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 40,808 Applies to:
This saved my ****!  Thank you so much
My running head shows up perfectly on my paper but then I save it, close it, reopen it, and its gone. Help!
You probably already turned in your paper, but once I got the header typed in right, I clicked the "SAVE AS" option and saved my paper.