Document map - figures.

I have read the answers on the document map about how the map is now showing figures.   I really just want to see the outline in the map so I can quickly get to the section I need to edit.  Having the figures showing up is too much clutter.   So the suggestion is to demote the formatting of the figures.  Someone has used caption style on the caption under the text.   Seems reasonable to me.   What do I need to do to this Caption style so it won't do this?   I do want some formatting different from body text here.  Please be verbose.   I have purchased books to help me with styles but they still are problematic for me.  The linking/ dependence structure seems confusing.   If you try to do editing you quickly make it even more complicated without even trying.    (If Word has a the ability to show a dependence map for a given style that might help -   I might choose to edit the correct piece/ element).

Answer
Answer
To determine the  paragraph outline level, put the cursor in one of your caption paragraphs that have been caught  in the document map.  On the Home ribbon, click the Paragraph group's launcher arrow (lower right).  The outline level will say "Level 1", or some such.  Change the level to "Body Text" and that caption will disappear from the document map.

Because Word changes the  outline levels with direct formatting, you can select a caption paragraph (or all of them at once)  and press Ctrl+q to clear the direct paragraph formatting. 

Pam

Pamelia Caswell

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2022 Views 3,680 Applies to: