Best Way(s) to Automatically Adjust Font Size for Different Length Certificate Names?

An organization I work with has 5 types of certificates (memberships, awards, etc). Because we are international, the length of name might be as small as 8 characters or as many as 35.

To avoid the long names being cut off and to manage the page aesthetics, we've been using a combination of visual inspections and multiple templates; i.e., in the standard template, the names are on one line; and in another, the names are on two lines.  But this means we've been working with 10(!) different layouts to accommodate the 5 different types of certificates.

We'd really like to reduce the certificate set to a basic 5 by having the names automatically adjust to the correct width (for the sake of this posting, let's assume that we just will not mess with height).

Word Art will automatically adjust the letter widths ... but how do feed a mail merge field into Word Art?

And if not Word Art, what else might you experts suggest?

I did find a post from Graham Mayor on using a macro with Word 2003 to do something similar for a label: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2003-word/label-merge-make-it-fit/22d7d5dc-30be-429b-8474-502f5164d216

We are using Word 2007.

Thank you in advance your advice!

Rose

|
Answer
Answer
If you can add another field to your Access data to return the character count of the Name field then you can do this in the merge itself by referencing the count. In the following example you can set three different font sizes based on the number of character is the field 'Length'

{ IF{ Mergefield Length } > 10 "{ IF { Mergefield Length } > "20" "{ Mergefield Name }" "{ Mergefield Name }"}" "{ Mergefield Name }" }

Format the three Mergefield Name fields in the font sizes you want. The first one is formatted the with the smallest font. The second with a medium sized font for names longer than 10 characters but shorter than 20 and the last for short names of less than 10 characters. Adjust the count to taste.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2017 Views 1,661 Applies to: