Spell Checker not working in Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac

I just installed Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac a few weeks ago, and when I type a document in Word, it is not flagging misspelled words as I type, even though the "check spelling and grammar" button is selected. Additionally, when I run a spelling/grammar check, it tells me that it's been run already and it still does not flag any misspelled words. I tried reinstalling the proofing tools, but that has not helped. Does anyone have any feedback on how to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2018 Views 151,922 Applies to:
Answer
The convenience of this macro is, once you know it works, all you need to do is open all documents requiring fixing, ALL AT ONCE, and run the macro one final time.

To force Australian English, change the language specification from wdEnglishUS to wdEnglishAUS
(in two places).

There is a Preference setting that, curiously, is saved with each document and is probably the root of your current problem: Word > Preferences > Spelling and Grammar > Hide spelling errors in this document. I've added it to the code as well, so here's a new version with the changes in boldface, which you can add manually:

Sub ApplyEnglishAUStoAllOpenDocuments()
For Each aDocument In Application.Documents
    aDocument.Activate
    'Apply language ----------------------
    Selection.WholeStory
    Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
    Selection.NoProofing = False
    'Redefine the Normal style ----------------
    ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal").LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
    ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal").NoProofing = False
    'Enable spelling errors --------------
    ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = True
    'Save changes and close -------------
    aDocument.Save
    aDocument.Close
Next aDocument
End Sub

In case you don't know anything about macros, the name that follows the starting "Sub" is arbitrary (thus, you can use pretty much any descriptive name there, like Sub ChangeLang(), etc.) while comment lines start with an apostrophe and are ignored by Word.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.