Release 15:22 - fix for word documents not saving properly - not fixed

Hello

I had a problem saving and closing already saved documents with word asking me to 'save/save as' as if they were newly created documents.  This seems to happen when documents are open for a while.  The file has become corrupted.

The other issue was when opening a document it would come up with an error that there was not enough space in the start up disk - which is incorrect. Its a new laptop and there is 70% space remaining.

The release 15:22 was meant to fix these problems.  

My questions are - 

1). Does the release fix this bug on documents that were created prior to its installation? I am assuming it was meant to.

Or

2). Has the release simply failed to fix the bug?

3). Should I be doing back ups to an external hard drive if the files are corrupted?

If the release has failed to fix the bug and it is corrupting files this makes office 365 not fit for purpose and dangerous to run - when will the new bug fix be released?  What compensation will MS offer for work documents that becomes lost?  

This bug should be a P1 and a new bug fix released asap.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 760 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I haven't experienced any word Crashes or run into the ".... out of memory" notice. In a long time. Although I alway add updates as they come out. I see no difference in performance. 

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone, and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is not a document issue, so earlier documents don't need fixing.

As workarounds, you can use Time Machine to make automatic backups as your work, or you can Save As regularly, adding an incrementing number to the file name. This reduces the amount of work you can lose between saves.

I suggest opening Apple>About This Mac and noting your model information. Then click on the smiley-face icon in the upper-right corner of the Word window, choose Tell Us What Can Be Better and describe the problem in detail. Include the model information. Then hopefully when they test on the same model, they'll get the same error and be able to finally solve it.

Brandwares - Advanced Office template services to the graphic design industry and select corporations.
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I just had the same problem and exited by quitting Word instead of closing the documents I was working on, then selected the displayed option to save, which worked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for that.  Will try it out next time - which will be sooner rather than later I think!

Sorry this didn't help.

HI John - I originally thought it was a mac problem and reported it but they said it was a microsoft issue which it seems it is.  

But no harm covering all bases so will report again as strange error messages coming up.

I don't really want to have to save multiple versions of the same product.  I paid for the product and MS needs to fix it as you can't have word doing this all the time!

Thanks for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't want you to lose work, so I still recommend you save multiple versions. You can always delete the extras when you get to the final version. I routinely work that way on unstable files from clients. But of course, it's your call.
Brandwares - Advanced Office template services to the graphic design industry and select corporations.

Sorry this didn't help.

I work on the Word for Mac team and would like to get more information about this issue. Could you provide the Console logs when you see this dialog? You can use the following steps:

1. Launch Console from Applications/Utilities

2. Click on Clear Display so the logs you share are only related to your steps

3. Launch Word and get to the out of 'disk space' alert you are experiencing

4. Select all and Copy with Edit or Cmd-A, then Cmd-C

Thanks,

Ari Kapilivsky

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Ari - but can you please tell me how to get to No.1 - Launch console from apps/utilities?

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

In your Applications/Utilities folder is a program called Console. Double-click on it to run it.

Sorry this didn't help.

18/05/2016 19:22:41.844 taskgated[322]: no application identifier provided, can't use provisioning profiles [pid=1671]
18/05/2016 19:22:42.182 taskgated[322]: no application identifier provided, can't use provisioning profiles [pid=1673]
18/05/2016 19:22:42.000 kernel[0]: IGAccelDevice: IOUserClient outputCount count mismatch
18/05/2016 19:22:42.630 Microsoft Word[1671]: NSAllowAppKitWeakReferences=YES
18/05/2016 19:22:42.713 Microsoft Word[1671]: ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/27/tgbgc3492755vt4yypkhbj040000gn/T/com.microsoft.Word/com.microsoft.Word.savedState
18/05/2016 19:22:51.031 WindowServer[157]: send_datagram_available_ping: pid 387 failed to act on a ping it dequeued before timing out.
18/05/2016 19:23:12.176 WindowServer[157]: send_datagram_available_ping: pid 387 failed to act on a ping it dequeued before timing out.

Sorry this didn't help.