ms word for Mac formatting issues

Hello Community,

I worked on a document using  Mac office word 2011 . I  opened it today in mac word 2016 and on clicking on paragraph marks/formatting symbols i noticed new page breaks, new margins and enter symbol at the end of every line. The tables in the documents have the borders shifted as well. I have tried to revert back to the older version and the problem is still there. Can anyone please assist on how to correct this ?

Thanks in advance.

Kim

Answer
Answer

The screen display of non-printing characters has changed in Word 2016 for Mac. There is no way to change this display to match Word 2011.

Table rendering in 2011 matches that of Word 2010 and earlier versions, where the cell margin sits in the left margin, so the table text aligns with the document margin.

In Word 2013, this was changed so that the table border aligns with the margin and the text is indented. Word 2016 for both Mac and Windows both follow this new rendering. This will not be changed. The only way to have the table appear in the old style is to save the file in an earlier version of Word.

For anyone creating templates or documents with tables that have to work in a mixed 2011/2016 environment, the solution is to set the cell margins at 0, then use paragraph indenting to create the space between the text and the table border. This renders the same in all versions of Word.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2022 Views 2,193 Applies to: