How to get a table that is too wide (ie too many columns, NOT too many rows) to flow to the next page?

I created a table in excel and copy/pasted it to word. The table is too wide to fit on the page (even in landscape mode) and when I format it to "fit to window" it becomes unreadable because the columns are so narrow. How do I create a break in my table to get it to flow to the next page? There is so much info online regarding this topic when it relates to rows flowing to the next page, but I can't find anything for a table that is too wide.

In the past I have dealt with this issue by just going back to excel and formatting my tables there/ breaking them up into multiple tables that will fit the page, but this is super time consuming and a pain in the butt. Please tell me there's an easier way.

Thanks for the advice!

Answer
Answer
Word doesn't provide a way to do what you want. You will have to copy/paste a limited number of columns at a time.
---
Best wishes, HansV
https://www.eileenslounge.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

No information is available because it cannot be done... At least not in the manner you're expecting. Word documents flow top-to-bottom, not side-to-side. The only reasonable option is to copy the Excel content individually in "bite sized chunks" that will fit on a single page & paste each chunk onto a separate page in the document. [Theoretically, you could try to cut/paste the overflow columns while working in Word, but that would be a more difficult task.]

An acceptable alternative may be to print the data from Excel, then manually insert the output into the document after printing it.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2023 Views 8,540 Applies to: