Grey shading appears over text in Word

I have a MacBook running on Mac OS X Version 10.6.7. 
My word version is Word for Mac 2008, version 12.3.0  

After typing for a while large sections of the text will be covered by grey shading. You can continue to type and the new text is visible on a white background however the text underneath the shading that remains is not. I am working on documents that contain text in tables (the tables cover about 2 - 3 pages). 
The document is now about 5,000 words and it only seems to become a problem after I have worked on it for a while. 
I have 12 documents of the same format that I am working on and it happens on all of them so not just a problem with one file. 
The grey shading will go away when you scroll down the page or onto another page and then scroll back up again.
Answer
Answer

If the document contains lots of fields, and your Word preferences are set to highlight fields as "Always", those fields in the document will show with a grey highlight.

The option can be changed from the below location:

Word>Preferences>View>Field shading: "Always"

If the above does not help, follow the steps below:

1. Select the text, Go to Format > Borders & Shading. On the Shading Page, select None.

Or

2. Select the text then click the right edge of the Highlighter tool on the Formatting Toolbar & choose None.

178 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 277,163 Applies to: