export pdf with embedded fonts

Hello Community,

I have a 365 word document that needs to be sent on with the fonts embedded. I see that I can "share" a pdf of my document, but how do I set the fonts to be embedded?

Thank you.

Kate

|
Answer
Answer

There are 2 different issues here: embedding fonts in a Word document, and embedding fonts in a PDF made from that document.

The font publisher determines whether a font can be embedded, so it's not possible with all typefaces. In a Word document, only TrueType and TrueType-flavor OpenType can be embedded, and then only in Windows versions of Word. Most fonts from third-party foundries have limited editability. This means that if your aim is document collaboration, you should use the fonts that come with Microsoft Office, it's a whole lot fewer headaches.

When a document is saved as a PDF, you can include PostScript-flavor OpenType fonts as well as the formats mentioned above. You get little control over font embedding unless you are using Adobe Acrobat to create PDFs. 

If you're using only the File>Save As>PDF feature of Word, choose the Standard (publishing online and printing) option in the Save As dialog. This will embed a subset of the font in the PDF, meaning that only the font characters actually used in your document are embedded. This normally makes it impossible to edit the PDF using the embedded font, but it may be good enough.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", now available
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2021 Views 12,057 Applies to: