2 sets of footnotes in one Word document

I am trying to create a document where there are two sets of footnotes (one for commentary, one for citation)

One set would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Another set would be i, ii, iii, iv, v...

Can this be done?

Something like this:

|
This is simple to do if you use footnotes for one and endnotes for the other. I'm not familiar with any way of combining 2 styles of footnote numbering into one set of footnotes, unless you do it all manually.
Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", now available
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, but is it possible to move the "end notes" so that display on each page instead of the end of a document?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to agree with John. I have not seen any way of doing exactly that in Word.

The thing you have to remember is that Word, at it's very core is over 30 years old.  It started out as an electronic typewriter (as a VERY ROUGH analogy). Since then many features, like footnotes were "bolted on". How good those new features were depended on a combination of several factors: time, money, how good the MS programmers were, how inventive the MS analysts were and what the feature looked like in the competition, usually WordPerfect. 

So in this case, to the best of my knowledge, there is only one level of footnotes available.  But there is also the endnote feature, which is separate. So you can approximate what you want using the 2 features in combination. Not perfect, but it is what you have.

Another option would be to use comments for one of the levels. At least that way the notes would be closer to the content, more like a footnote than the endnotes are ...

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Word doesn't support multiple footnote streams.

Based on your specimen, the recommended approach in Word would be to use Footnotes for the commentary items & insert the citations actually as Citations or as Endnotes. That, of course, would not satisfy your want to have both Footnotes & Citations at the bottom of the page. In Word, Footnotes either can be Below Text or Bottom of Page, Endnotes must be at the End of Section or End of Document. As for Citations, they are placed in the text, but the bibliography can be inserted anywhere in a document.

FWIW, I'm certainly no authority, but I don't know of any conventional writing style that actually endorses a mixture of that sort. I've always been schooled that (among other reasons) it is disruptive to readability & often confuses the reader. The only software I've seen that supports it is professional typesetting software such as LaTeX... and even that requires add-in packages [e.g., Ledmac] in order to create multiple footnote streams.

This may be of interest: Typesetting Critical Editions with LaTeX: ledmac, ledpar and ledarab

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???
Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At least in Word for Windows, you can combine an automatic and a manual set of footnotes, but it will be a lot easier to combine endnotes and footnotes.
Stefan Blom
Office Apps & Services (Word) MVP
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Howtouseword,

Do you have any updates?

Thanks,

Qing

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2021 Views 3,391 Applies to: