Word randomly changes font

I have seen related questions to this but no solutions.

In the last few days, MS word (MacOS High Sierra Word v. 15.37) has been randomly changing font. I have my default font set to Times New Roman 12pt but it changes to Helvetica 12pt randomly, sometimes mid-sentence, sometimes mid-word. Sometimes copying TNR 12pt into a new document and choosing "source" formatting results in a document with mixed (mid-sentence) fonts all through the document. When I select all text and try to change back to TNR, the text does not change (and the font box remains blank). If I try to clear formatting (not ideal when writing a reference list in APA format) and then go to write stuff in, it again changes to Helvetica randomly. I've tried multiple times to go in and set the default font back to TNR but it doesn't work.

Edit: Just tried to manually change the font of individual words to TNR. I can't do it, its locked to H. somehow. Hitting 'clear formatting' does nothing. 

The only thing I've done differently in the last few days has been upgrade to High Sierra. Around the same time, I also opened and modified a document someone else sent me which was written in Helvetica, and this was when I noticed Helvetica had somehow hijacked my system.

Please help. I am submitting these documents for publication and its frustrating in the extreme. 

Answer
Answer

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your reply.

As you described, the issue occurs to Word 2016 for Mac only. From the crash log above, the version of Microsoft AutoUpdate you are using is 3.9.2. To get the latest Microsoft AutoUpdate version 3.11, please refer this article to download and install it: Release notes for Office 2016 for Mac. Then update to the latest version of Office 2016: 15.39.0 (Build 17101000).

Besides, please provide the screenshot when you are free. To insert a screenshot, please click the Insert Image icon.

Regards,

Yoga

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2022 Views 6,502 Applies to: