Accidentally clicking "don't save" in Word Document

I have done this a couple times now. I am a student and use Microsoft Word a lot, I have been consistently amazed at how easy it is to lose work with Word. I am trying to understand why autorecover files would EVER be designed to be automatically deleted. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a recovery file?? 

Additionally why is there not an autosave option for working with OneDrive files from the desktop app? Shouldn't a file just automatically backup to the cloud every few minutes. 

I seriously just lost another two pages of work from Word 2016 for Mac because when I went to close it I accidently clicked "don't save". 

Dear developers, word files are super tiny files! You could save a million them and barely use up a hard drive, why doesn't it just save everything?!? I don't understand why it is so easy to lose work on Word!!! 

Autorecovery should never automatically delete itself, it is supposed to be for catching accidents!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am afraid you're under a misconception as related Microsoft Office (be it Mac or PC) and Auto Recover.

Auto Recover sole Purpose Is temporarily retain a Snapshot of what you were working at the time of a Crash. But it only comes into play only when Word has a Crash.

The Feature you want which is both in Word and Excel 2011 and 2016 is Create Backup Files In Word setting to create a Backup  is easy

1. Go to Word > Preferences
  2. Click On Save.
  3. Then Click on:

Click on the Red DOT to close.

In order to work You must hit Save As when you first create a document then get in habit of hitting, ⌘ - S (Save) every 5 to 10 minutes or so. Then if you forget to save you have a Backup copy with everything up to last Save. If You don't save Even Backup doesn't work.

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone, and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 29, 2023 Views 4,516 Applies to: