copy/paste from Word for mac to other applications broken

All of a sudden, the copy/paste function in Word (mac) is not function properly anymore. I finally restored copy/paste within Word via keyboard shortcuts (found an instruction on a blog) but it is still not possible to paste to some applications outside Word, eg in an outlook message.

Strange things happen: I can paste into the outlook subject field; I can paste to excel, ...

Not sure if this has to do something with it, but 'paste to scrapbook' is grey in the Word menu, so can't be used. 

Hope someone can help me; note I'm not in IT business; many thanks to keep the explanation 'for dummies'

Thanks!

Brigitte

Copy/Paste is actually a service of the operating system -- Try simply restarting your Mac.

If you continue to have the problem supply any additional details including OS X & Office version/update info.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bob,

I tried restarting but this didn't work.

I can copy from word to word, from word to xls, from word to the subject field of an outlook message, from xls to the body field of an outlook message, .... but NOT from Word to the body field of a message (note that I use the webmail version of outlook).

My OS X version is  10.9.2 - I installed an update proposed to me today called mavericks 

My Word for mac version is word mac 2011 14.1.0.

All suggestions are welcome!

Brigitte

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apparently your installation of Office is seriously out of date -- 14.4.1 is the current version, so I'd suggest that you get it applied before chasing symptoms. It's a cumulative update so you can apply it without having to apply any of the interim updates released over the last 3 years.

Select Check for Updates from Word's Help menu to fetch the update... I'd also suggest that you set the Microsoft AutoUpdate program to Check Automatically on a monthly basis.

Once the update is applied run Disk Utility to repair disk permissions followed by a Restart.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help Bob. I did all the actions you mentioned. I have the latest Word version now, did a disk permissions repair and a restart. 

The problem still remains: I can't copy from Word to the body field of an outlook email. I checked several other copy/paste actions and find out that there is no problem to copy to yahoo mail. Also there IS a problem to copy/paste from Powerpoint into outlook, ... so maybe the problem is with outlook webmail?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm honestly not sure what to tell you... I don't use the web apps but I understand that there are some limitations/restrictions. It doesn't seem like that should be one of them but I can't say as I have no experience with it.

It also may be an OS or Browser issue & may depend on the nature of the copied content. From what you've described, though, it doesn't seem to be attributable to either of the locally installed Office programs. You may get other replies here but it might be more advantageous to ask in the Community for Outlook.com

Other available resources are the support group for the specific browser you're using as well as Apple Discussions for your flavor of OS X.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bob, thanks anyway; I will ask in the outlook community. Strange thing is that all worked well until a certain moment... I don't understand why things suddenly change. Maybe to keep blogs like this alive ;-)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2023 Views 5,324 Applies to: