Word App not uploading to Dropbox

I am currently having some issues between dropbox and the Word app on my iPad. I will be typing in a document in the Word app and suddenly get an error message saying the app has saved my changes but can't upload them to Dropbox. When I check, the WiFi signal is strong and there is no obvious connection problem. In the directory the file shows "Upload Pending" under it and has an exclaimation point with a triangle around it. This happens multiple times daily, and happens to files in multiple folders. I have to save the file again with a new file name each time it happens because it won't over-write or delete the old file. Once the new file is saved, the old file never syncs and shows no yellow triange or green check icon. If I try to delete the old file I get an error message saying that the file cannot be deleted now and to try again later.  I have tried deleting and re-installing both apps multiple times and restarting device to no avail. I checked Dropbox trouble shooting and they said it was a Microsoft problem, not their end. I use these programs to take, save, and organize my class notes so getting this fixed is vital with exams coming up...thanks for your help.  

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2018 Views 1,738 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We need to gather additional information to better help you with this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Did you notice any changes to your device prior to this issue?
  • Does the issue happen to a specific Word file?

In the meantime, we suggest that you upload the Word file in your OneDrive and check if you will still experience the same issue. To do it, kindly follow the steps on how to use OneDrive in iPad through this article.

If you were able to upload your document to OneDrive, the issue is with Dropbox. That being said, we advise contacting the developer for better assistance. We understand that you have already contacted them. However, if you'll be able to upload your file to OneDrive, then there's nothing wrong with your Office program.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It happens with more than one file, and files in more than one folder. It does not happen every time I manipulate the file but will happen in fits. I will have to re-save a document 5 times within an hour and then be fine for a day or two before it happens again. I took screen shots if you need to see them.

I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary other than known reported bugs after updates to the newest iOS.

I will try OneDrive, but as the problem runs in fits it may take a while to see if the problem occurs with OneDrive.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not been able to re-create the problem when uploading to OneDrive but OneDrive is not my preferred method to save documents. I have been in contact with Dropbox support and they noted that all the error messages appear in the Word app, not the Dropbox app and that my files appear fine on the Dropbox end. Their reply is below:

Also, thanks for your file names. On my end the files look fine so i'm trying to distinguish exactly where this problem lies.

I see that the screenshots are from the Word App and not from Dropbox. I do see the exclamation mark in the orange triangle, but I need to understand how this corresponds to Dropbox, and what makes you believe the issue is being caused by Dropbox, and not the Word App so I can troubleshoot.

Do you have any error messages in your Dropbox Account? Can you please send them to me so I can troubleshoot more effectively.

I have attached to you the same photos I sent to them. Instead of blaming each other I would really like if you could work together to figure out why your programs are no longer working together, as I have been using this method to organize my notes for over a year and this problem has only been going on for a month. Again, I am using the Word app on my school-issued iPad to save documents to Dropbox. I get no error messages in Dropbox, the error messages appear in the Word app. The error appears to be communicatio between Word app and Dropbox for saving files as they are updated and I need your help to find out why. Thank you.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.*** 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We would like to know if you have tried uninstalling Word app then re-install it. There is a possibility that updates installed or changes made on the device affected the application.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing both apps at least 3 times over the past month. I have checked the internet/WiFi connection and as far as I can tell it is fine. I have done several reboots/hard restarts with my device. My operating system is up to date and I am not anywhere near my storage limit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Misconfigured settings in Word are one of the possible reasons why you are unable to upload your files. That being said, we will be performing some troubleshooting steps to isolate and to resolve this concern. Since you have updated and reinstall the app, let us try a different account and check if the issue will occur. In addition, we will further investigate this concern on our end and have it sent for review. We'll keep you posted once we figure out what's happening. But, please use a different account and let us know if you will still experience the same issue.

If you have other questions or concerns, kindly reply to this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar problem, which started today on my ipad. I opened the dropbox app and can see all my files as normal. When I then try to open the files with excel or word they will not open. I have updated everything, done a reset. By reconnecting excell to dropbox I managed to get excel working but not word. I then transferred a word file from dropbox to onedrive and could open the file with word, no problem.

It seems to be word not being able to connect to dropbox. I suppose I will have to transfer all my files to one drive. A shame really because dropbox up to now has worked flawlessly for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have been having the same problems with Excel as listed in this forum with Word.  We can randomly a file and it saves automatically and uploads to Dropbox, and then at other times it comes up with the same message 'Can't upload-Something's wrong and your changes can't be uploaded'. This process works for word at the moment. We have been using Excel for several months now and the problem has just started last week, it is random, but seems to be occurring with more frequency over the last few days.

Please advise on how we can fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

We appreciate the information that you've provided as this would be vital for us to see what troubleshooting can be applied and have it added on our investigation. For us to better reproduce the issue, we would like to know the what is the version of your device's OS and also what is the build and version of your Word app. Please don't hesitate to post it here so we can see what steps to perform.

We'll be waiting for your responses.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem on my Ipad Pro.  My documents will not update on Dropbox.  Instead I get a
Can't upload - Something's wrong and you your changes can't be uploaded" message.  My only choice then is to save back a new document which is frankly annoying.  I have no desire to use OneDrive.  If this can't be fixed I may just move to using Pages for my word processing.  Please advise how I can fix this problem with Word.

Sorry this didn't help.