Visio stencil for industrial automation

I am new to Visio. My company needs to use it to be able to draw ethernet network diagrams in industrial automation environment. I have been looking everywhere possible on the net to find a free stencil with a set of shapes that are basic controllers (e.g. industrial PLCs, etc..) but I haven't been successful. The following link will take you to the only suitable stencil that I have found, which is not free thought!  http://www.shapesource.com/scripts/stencils.asp?idStencil=12. Would anyone be able to suggest a free alternative? Thank you
Answer
Answer

Yes, I know the sight you mentionned and I wasn't too thrilled about their offerings either.  The little I saw led me to believe that they had just converted older CAD drawings to visio shapes and generated Shape Sheets with them.  The angles were all wrong, in that there is no way to get them to connect to one another and create a meanigful process diagram.

There are a lot sites out there with Free shapes.  What you might not get however are Free Programmatically enhanced shapes.  Those are closely guarded by their authors, and they can make good money depending on how good they are.

Here is a list of sites that I borrowed from this site:  http://www.sandrila.co.uk/articles/visio-articles/

It seems to me that you should be able to find some decent stuff in this list, and little by little you miught get the hang of generating your own shapes (and who knows, maybe you'll sell them some day.

Links to all the Visio articles
Various useful formulae for use in Visio shapesheet cells
  • Resizing text with the shape:
    Set cell Character -> Size = 10 pt*Height/0.75 in
  • Resizing text with the shape (with minimum and maximum values):
    Set cell Character -> Size = Min(48 pt, Max(4 pt,10 pt*Height/0.75 in.))
  • Level text - text that is always horizontal, sometimes called 'gravity text':
    Set cell Text Transform -> TxtAngle = -ANG360(Angle)

3rd-party additions for Microsoft Visio

There are various lists available of 3rd-party Visio stencils and add-ons, all of which seem to be totally out of date and full of dead links. I shall endeavour to keep this list up to date, please inform me of any changes or additions. Email me

Kcnarf Erub
SF, CA

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 92,503 Applies to: