Click-through linked process map (Visio or PDF)

Dear all,

I would like to create a kind of procedure library on my department's sharepoint page.

It should look as follows:

1. The page exists of a full-screen file viewer (visio or pdf) which shows my basic process diagram. So far that's easy and until early April the process chart was correctly shown (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/modern-sharepoint-file-viewer-web-part-not/97a24760-8fb7-44e9-9748-086d6dab8b64).

2. Now, my basic process diagram would refer to underlying, more detailed sub-procedures/documents. I would link them per hyperlink to the process blocks in the diagram which makes reference to it. When clicking the process block, the sub-process diagram should open in the same page file viewer. 

In other words, when clicking a link in a file viewer (to a document saved in the sharepoint's document library), the new document should open in the same document viewer (like on a web page). 

Preferably, when clicking the browser's 'go back' button, the previous document / process diagram is shown.

I did not find any tutorial on how to accomplish this yet. In my try-outs, I can successfully link to another visio diagram, but it opens in a new tab in the web browser. This is not a nice way to navigate through my set of documents/process diagrams. I would like to see it like navigating through a normal web page, where the same screen/frame is showing the information of the link.

Thank you very much in advance!

Answer
Answer
Hi Alexander,

Thank you for choosing our product.

Based on your description, you have two main requirements about SharePoint site page.

Since the first requirement about display Visio file in File Viewer web part is an issue which we can reproduce on our side, if you still have concern about it, we suggest you contact the administrator in your company if you aren’t the administrator and follow the steps in the article to open a ticket to know more about it.

About the second requirement, when you click on the link displayed in the File Viewer web part, you want to open it directly in this File Viewer web part. Honestly, there is no out of box method to meet this requirement now. 

However, there is a workaround about it. You can save all the files that appear in this file link in a Document library first. Then create a Document Library web part with this library and another File Viewer web part(you can add New section “Two Column” from the Section layout to make it easier for users to view files), connect these two web part. The user clicks the file corresponding to your basic process diagram in the Document library web part, and then displays it in the newly created File Viewer web part. For mor detailed steps, you can refer to this article: Connect web parts in SharePoint Online.

At the same time, please take a moment to send us your feature request(s) by submitting your feedback in the SharePoint UserVoice. The higher votes, the more attention the related team will pay on. Many good ideas have been taken in this way. Your voice is also important to us.

Appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,
Jazlyn
-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2020 Views 30 Applies to: