Word online documents opening in edit mode

We have our documents in SharePoint set up to open in Word Online.   As of today the documents are automatically opening in Edit mode.  How can I stop this as people are now editing documents by accident. 

We have not made any changes to make this happen.

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi KF1ME,

Based on my test, when users with Edit permissions open the files in Word Online, the files will be in edit mode by default. 

Currently if you don’t want users to edit the files when open in Word Online, you can grant Read permission for the users in the shared library.

Thanks,

Cliff

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi KF1ME,

We understand your concern and have contacted the related team for more information about the current behavior - open Office file in edit mode by default. Once we have any further information, we’ll update here to let you know.

Thanks,
Cliff

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have the same problem with our setup. We have users editing things on accident and in-document hyperlinks not working unless they manually switch to reading mode. This is very annoying as we had it perfect before. We need this to open in read-only, then users can choose to edit if they must.

Come on MSFT, don't change they way our stuff functions randomly all the time... We did not ask for this.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cliff - When you have details or an update, please do paste them here.

To be honest, saying "grant the users Read-Only rights if you don't want them to edit" is a bit of a cop out.

We haven't asked for this feature, and no method has been granted to reverse this.

Is there a global setting to turn this off? A Powershell script or so? It was fine as it was before.

The doc is presented as read-only - and if you want to edit, you *specifically* action that - in word online or in the thick app (installed Word).

Folks can now edit by mistake when they didn't intend too, and so this "enhancement" is worse in my opinion. Cheers.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

The behavior that files opened in Word Online is directly in the edit mode is a behavior in SharePoint Online by default now.

For more detailed information, please refer to Modern Web experience for Office files in the article.

As a workaround, you can set Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited to Yes in Version settings in Library Settings. Meanwhile, I suggest you submit your feedback on our SharePoint UserVoice as it is the direct way for product developers to know users’ requirements.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cliff 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

The behavior that files opened in Word Online is directly in the edit mode is a behavior in SharePoint Online by default now.

For more detailed information, please refer to Modern Web experience for Office files in the article.

As a workaround, you can set Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited to Yes in Version settings in Library Settings. Meanwhile, I suggest you submit your feedback on our SharePoint UserVoice as it is the direct way for product developers to know users’ requirements.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cliff 

This is very disappointing.

In my opinion this a huge change in functionality from one day to another, and because of this we are also having massive issues with files suddenly being changed unintentionally.

The check out feature is not a solution, as it adds a big unwanted step whenever one of our many users wants to change as mush a single Word in one of the many documents we have stored.

We really need a setting where we can change this behaviour back to how it was before.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

100% agree. Give us the power of options. Don't limit us on the tool we've grown our business around, especially with a setting causing issues. This is one example why there's so many companies looking past Sharepoint for other solutions. People want options and control!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just wanted to add one thing.

The reason this is such a big issue for me, is that we have exposed many of our SharePoint documents through Microsoft Teams.

The way we have done this is by creating a SharePoint page that displays an overview of documents from the SharePoint document library.

The page is made up of several of the "Highlighted content" web parts, which lists the documents from the library.

The SharePoint page is exposed in a tab in Microsoft Teams using the "Website" app.

This way all of our users (who use Teams primarily as a knowledge sharing tool) can access the various files in an easy way.

It seems to me that Microsoft overlooked this way of doing things when making this change.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cliff,

Please share with us where specifically this change was announced so I can try to make sure we don't miss a massive problem like this again. As noted above, nobody requested this idiotic change and just to dump it out there is bordering on irresponsible. I can't imagine who thought this was a good idea and for sure this is another nail in Sharepoint's coffin... 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apparently 396 people thought this was a good idea https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-online/suggestions/9147922-ability-to-open-excel-online-in-edit-mode-by-default. I can see the advantages for having this feature, but not taking the time to give administrators the ability to switch it off is just lazy design.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2021 Views 7,921 Applies to: