Sharepoint app can not be delete, nor subsite can not be deleted

The app does not have a remove button when clicking the drop down menu in site collection, it has details, monitor, app permissions. This is the log I got from trying to delete the subsite.

<error><message>Cannot recycle the web site &#39;6b4fad7fa4937d.sharepoint.com/test/EmployeeDirectoryPro&#39;, because it is an app web.</message><full>Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Cannot recycle the web site &#39;-6b4fad7fa4937d.sharepoint.com/test/EmployeeDirectoryPro&#39;, because it is an app web. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.Recycle(Boolean forceAppWeb, Boolean checkComplianceFlags) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.DeleteRecursive.DeleteOp(ObjectSerializer objser) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.SmtLongRunningJob.ApplyPostOrder(NodeOperator op, ObjectSerializer objser, UInt32&amp; numaffected) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.SmtLongRunningJob.ApplyPostOrder(NodeOperator op, ObjectSerializer objser, UInt32&amp; numaffected) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.DeleteRecursive.DoWork()</full><customData>Operation to Delete &#39;/test&#39; failed</customData></error>

Hi Jmercier91,

To delete a subsite in a site collection, please go to the home page and access the subsite. Then click Setting icon like a gear > Site Settings > Site Actions > Delete this site.  

To clarify the scenario and provide the correct suggestions, I would like to confirm the following details: 

1. Do you want to delete subsites in SharePoint Online on a computer or some mobile devices? 
2. About the error, how do you delete the subsite? Could you share with us the more detailed steps? 
3. A screenshot about the error. 
4. About “the app does not have a remove button when clicking the drop down menu in site collection”, could you share with us a screenshot? 

Regards,
Shirley 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It does not allow me to delete the subsite, because of an app that I cannot remove. its an employee directory app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeffrey,

Do you get some error when removing the employee directory app? If so, could you share with us a screenshot? A screenshot about the error when deleting the subsite is also appreciated. 

In addition, may I know which kind of app the employee directory is, custom list, Access or other apps in SharePoint?  

Regards,
Shirley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I go to delete the subsite this is the error: There was a problem deleting Web site "/test". Sites that have subsites or certain apps can't be deleted. Please try again after deleting all subsites and removing the apps.

the app is from the sharepoint store which is saketa employee directory - pro.

There is no where for me to delete this app, I do not have an option to remove it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeffrey,

To remove the Saketa employee directory – pro app from the team site, please follow the steps below: 

1. Go to the subsite and click Site Contents. 

2. Find Saketa Employee Directory – Pro app and click the ellipsis > ellipsis > Remove as below: 

To remove sites, we need to remove all apps in the subsites and remove all apps in subsites. Therefore, could you share with us a screenshot about the Site Contents in the site you would like to deleted? 

Regards,
Shirley 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeffrey,

We haven’t heard from you for a while. Could you let me know any updates at your convenience?

Regards,
Shirley  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same error which was driving me nuts.  But it turns out that the Site Contents view for Sharepoint online has changed and you don't see the Apps available to remove.  I hit the Return to Sharepoint Classic link at the bottom of the page and then was able to see and remove the offending app.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I struggled with this.  There was not an option to remove the app for the site. 

The article here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Remove-an-app-from-a-site-03198D1B-C33B-498D-9469-AF641A587D6C

indicated how to do it, but it is easy to miss the fine print at the bottom of the article. 

There it states, "Note: If you don't see an option to Remove, you may need to click Return to classic SharePoint at the bottom left of the screen. After you've removed your app, you can use the Back button in the browser to return from classic view. "

Daryl Draper

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 2,025 Applies to: