SharePoint Online "Search This Library" and Document Sets

Hi All,

I have a document library that is used to store files for Projects. Each project gets it's own Document Set. 

We use 2 Views:

Project Documents - Default view for library which shows only Documents Sets (Content Type = Document Set)

Internal View - this view is set as the default for when you click into a document set. 

Everything works as it should when you browse the library and click into a Document Set. The View changes and uses the "Internal View" as expected.

Where things come unstuck is when users use the search located at the top of the screen containing the hint text "Search this  Library"

Now If the user choses one of the contextual results that appear in the drop down shown below, all is fine. Even though folder icons are shown in the image below, they are document sets and clicking one will open the document set and switch to the "Internal View. Great!

PICTURE: clicking in the search box at the top and choosing one of the results in the drop down works fine

THE ISSUE:

If the user presses "Enter" to search in the before mentioned search box, SharePoint reloads the screen with search results, however clicking on those results does not take them to the "Internal View" as you would expect when clicking on a document set. The view remains on "Project Documents" meaning no files are displayed because this view is designed to show only Document Sets. 

PICTURE: user pressing enter after search, receiving results (document sets) but clicking a document set does not switch to the "Internal View"

Anyone have a solution to this issue? 

Answer
Answer

Hi Shaun

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. If you received a community reply email about calling “Microsoft Support”, please do not call the number due to the privacy concerns, it is a spam.

I also tried to find out whether this behavior is an issue or by design. But it seems that there is not much explanation from Official document at this moment. In this scenario, I suggest you can raise a service request in Microsoft 365 admin center, if it is convenient. I also wrote a summary on this behavior and send you via Private Message, you may attach it while you raise a service request in admin center with global admin permission. Sorry for the inconvenience caused

As a lot of users mentioned the multiple default view seems works fine in Classic library view. I also did a test after I switched the default view of library from modern to classic and use the classic search box to search the documents set files with two default view for different levels.

It seems that it works as expect in classic view.

First level default view in library 

After I searched and entered with Classic view search box and enter document set.

If you are interested in classic view, you can give a shot with this workaround at your convenience.

For your information:

Switch the default experience for lists or document libraries from new or classic

Best regards,

Dihao

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2020 Views 136 Applies to: