SharePoint Not Working for Graphic Design Department

My company recently let our IT team transfer the whole company over to SharePoint. The took down our servers and have forced everyone to use SharePoint only. I though am in the Marketing department of a separate branch of the company. We are the only branch to have a Marketing department that does a lot of graphics work. We do everything from ads in the paper, to multi-page spreads in magazines, to full websites and some video editing. This transition is a nightmare of epic proportions.

IT says it's no different. "Just sync your OneDrive to SharePoint". Well, first off, my Surface does not have six terabytes of storage like we have in files. Some InDesign projects go 10 to 20 folders deep in the file structure. So, syncing only the folders needed is pretty much the same as having to sync the entire six terabytes. Unless you want me wasting time trying to figure out every single folder throughout and segmenting them for syncing. Besides, it breaks the links in InDesign, and I have to relink them all.

I am dumbfounded that IT did not speak to us about our needs. SharePoint seems great if all you work in are MS programs. We are all Adobe. Most of our programs need a strick file/folder structure or links are broken very easily.

I'm looking for someone to explain to me that I'm wrong and that SharePoint will be fine. Or, for some support to back me up in telling IT that for our needs, we need a file server. In which SharePoint is not.

Any help would be very much greatly appreciated. I'm getting close to losing my mind on this, and I am definitely losing productivity with the system being put in place as it is.

Thanks in advanced.

Sincerely,

Ryan.

I also work in a similar environment (but as the Sharepoint guy) and can share a few ideas.  

First off, SP can be made to behave like a file server set up but making syncing the "way to go" is the wrong path to take. Msft's sync functionality is flaky and duplicating tons of files locally is inefficient, wasteful and defeats the purpose of paying for cloud storage. 

My advice is explore network locations which allow you to open/save files directly from SP via windows explorer only when you need them and provides by far the most familiar and friendly user experience. For example, I work in Adobe products like Photoshop and NEVER have to save anything locally. I simply "save as" and then select my SPO shortcuts in windows explorer. Very easy, very efficient and so obviously the way cloud storage should work.

If you need to collaborate on content across multiple devices (as we do), then consider syncing one project library in a regular SP site - not OneDrive. OneDrive is also just a library but it comes with a "special" set of permissions which makes sharing more difficult so avoid syncing OD at all costs. As an example, when my design/web team tried using OD to collaborate, Msft's odd definitions of "shared with me" and "shared with everyone" just confused everybody. Once I suggested they use a regular SP site library, it worked exactly as they wanted. Unfortunately, Msft decide to cash in on the OneDrive brand and using that name for their sync client is highly misleading and once again, confusing. 

So to recap:

Create network locations when working on one machine.

Sync a project library only when collaborating on assets and either clean it out or delete it when done.

As you probably realize, your IT guys have drunk the koolaid fed them by Msft. Msft clearly doesn't use SP in the real world the way we do and their recommendations to me often seem totally pie in the sky and definitely not born of experience. So  never take Msft's word for anything - be willing to experiment and try out different ways to get SP to work the way that suits you best.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I truly appreciate the response. Thank you webbrewer#!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 1,217 Applies to: