SharePoint - Excel Compatibility Issues with Macros/ActiveX

Hi all,

Have been trying to get an Excel document working within SharePoint online. The document was created in Excel offline, and with very basic macros (drop down menus with auto-fill functionality) and it works flawlessly within Excel. It is a simple, lightweight document after all.

Once uploaded to SharePoint however, there are compatibility warnings and the drop-down macros do not function:

Unsupported FeaturesThere are some features in your workbook that we can't show in the browser.

We can't show these features in the browser: 

• Objects such as form toolbar controls, toolbox controls and ActiveX controls

But you can see all of the content in this workbook by opening the file in Excel.

I have tried every browser - I.E., Edge, Chrome... you name it and the issue persists. I have read that this may be a bug that has spanned several years with no fix other than a 3rd party extension for Chrome. This is too much of a security risk for the business, so looking for a workaround.

Many thanks.

Answer
Answer

Dear Liam,

Thanks for your updates.

Some users have submitted their feedback about the features you are talking about in this issue on our Excel Online UserVoice.  UserVoice is a direct platform for users to submit their requirements for improving our products to our product developers. Now many new features have been released based on users’ feedback. I strongly suggest you vote and keep close eyes in the following places. If our product developers plan to deploy the new features, they will post the latest information about the feedback there directly.

please enable macros for Excel online

Please show these features in the browser: • Objects like form toolbar controls, toolbox controls, and ActiveX controls.

Best Regards,

Cliff

Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 4,854 Applies to: