Prompted for sign in when opening an Office file from Sharepoint to desktop Office 365 applications

Hello,

This issue happens on and off with users and in the past I have been able to fix it but this time I can't. 

I have one user who is using the most up to date version of IE to go on Sharepoint. When she tries to open a document that is an Office document such as Excel/Word, it will prompt for her username(which is their email address) and it then goes to a blank excel page. It doesn't prompt for her password. It goes straight to a blank excel page. 

I test this in Chrome and the document opens just fine. It does not prompt for any credentials. 

The user is able to access Sharepoint and it signs her in automatically(both in Chrome and IE). We use SSO. She is able to access Office365.com without having to input her password(both in Chrome and IE).

The problem is just with opening office documents on Sharepoint through IE. 

I tried clearing out IE cache and quick repair Office 365 but this did not help. I normally also clear out saved windows credentials related to Office but didn't have the time. 

I am going to call her back later and try to RESET IE. I also will try to clear saved credentials in Windows, along with signing out of her account in Excel/Word. Signing back in. Also, if it is turned on, I am going to disable Protected View in IE. 

I am looking for some other possible solutions to try. 

Hi IndustryTech87,

The credential sign in requirement window generally prompts out while the related account hasn’t been signed in well in Office desktop client so that the SharePoint can’t verify you are the correct account which has the related permission to open the file.  If the user has pre-signed in the related account in Office desktop client apps, the credential sign in requirement window should not prompt out.

You can first do the steps you mentioned in your reply. Then make sure the user signed in well with her account. Click the username icon on the top right of the app, check whether the related account is signed in well. If there are several accounts signed in, remember to switch to the related account having the permission to open the related file.

In the meantime, SSO environment will not require typing password manually, this is the expected behavior. But for going to a blank Excel page, I would like to check whether this blank Excel file is just a new created workbook named “Book1”.  If so, whether the user can open the related file after a second try?

If the issue persists after all the steps above, please tell us:

1.       Did you test with the same account on the same computer while you were testing in IE and Chrome?

2.       Does the issue only happen to this computer?

Best Regards,

Rena

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi IndustryTech87,

The credential sign in requirement window generally prompts out while the related account hasn’t been signed in well in Office desktop client so that the SharePoint can’t verify you are the correct account which has the related permission to open the file.  If the user has pre-signed in the related account in Office desktop client apps, the credential sign in requirement window should not prompt out.

You can first do the steps you mentioned in your reply. Then make sure the user signed in well with her account. Click the username icon on the top right of the app, check whether the related account is signed in well. If there are several accounts signed in, remember to switch to the related account having the permission to open the related file.

In the meantime, SSO environment will not require typing password manually, this is the expected behavior. But for going to a blank Excel page, I would like to check whether this blank Excel file is just a new created workbook named “Book1”.  If so, whether the user can open the related file after a second try?

If the issue persists after all the steps above, please tell us:

1.       Did you test with the same account on the same computer while you were testing in IE and Chrome?

2.       Does the issue only happen to this computer?

Best Regards,

Rena

I have tried a number of solutions and none of them have helped. I now have a second employee who has this same issue. Different document. This time a word document. In IE, it prompts for a username and after the username is entered it does nothing. 

When I said it goes to a blank excel page, I should of been more specific. When the user puts in her email address in the username prompt, Excel opens but it doesn't open a blank workbook or anything. It is just an empty Excel window with nothing there. 

Both employees are able to use Chrome which has no problems opening the documents. 

I have tried disabling protected view in Office. I have tried quick repair of Office. I have tried resetting IE. I have tried resetting advanced settings in IE. I have tried clearing out all credentials in Windows Credentials Manager and none of this has done anything. 

1) Yes. Employees only have 1 Office 365 account which is synced with AD. Test are done on their computers. They only have 1 workstation. 

2) No, this issue happens to other users on other workstations in different cities. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IndustryTech87,

Sorry to hear that the issue persists. I will try my best to help you.

For the blank Excel window, is it like below?

If so, based on my test, if the Office desktop app hasn’t been launched previously, when we try to “open in Excel” for SharePoint file, Excel will be launched at this time with blank window like you mentioned. Then it will try to connect the server. Please notice whether you can see the notification at the left bottom of the window that it is connecting the file. It may need several seconds to open.

In the meantime, I would collect version information to test more and see whether the issue can only occur in specific version:

1.       The IE version. By the way, my version is 

2.       The Office client version. Please go to File > Account > Product Information and provide us the screenshot about this pane. To protect your privacy, please help us mask the email address.

Best Regards,

Rena

-----------------------
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, we get that type of window but the problem is at the bottom left where you expect to see it say something like what your screenshot shows, it does not show anything. It is the same window like what you show but it doesn't show it is downloading anything etc. 

The other employee that is trying to open a word doc. She doesn't even get a Word window. Nothing happens after she inputs her username. Again, if we do this is Chrome. The document is downloaded. The employee opens it and it is opened in Protected View. They are able to click Enable Edit or whatever it says and edit the document. IE just doesn't want to work right. 

I also just want to point out that both users had the Office program already open. The employee who has problems with opening Excel is more high priority. The other employee is younger and doesn't mind using Chrome. Excel is already opened when she was trying to open the excel document on SharePoint. Just an FYI. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IndustryTech87,

Thanks for the updates. I notice the Office version is old version, is that convenient for you to click “update Options” > enable updates > update now to update to the latest version? The latest version always has the most new features, bug fixes and security updates. And the most important thing is, we only fix bugs in the latest version. So, it’s important to update to the latest version to narrow down this is not caused by a specific Office client version. At least, I can’t reproduce the issue with the latest version 1906 (Build 11727.20244) Monthly Channel. You can update to that version and check whether the issue persists.

And the IE version is updated with Windows system. I assume we are in different OS version, because my IE version is lower than yours, but it has already been the latest one. Therefore, can you go to system > About to check that? Mine is

Best Regards,

Rena

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IndustryTech87,

Have you updated the Office? Does the issue persist?

Thanks,

Rena

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

People have been complaining for years about the numerous authentication issues encountered when trying to connect SP with a local machine which Msft has never resolved. Clearly it's beyong thier capabilities. And I don't even know what this means:

" the related account hasn’t been signed in well in Office desktop client"

Signed in "well"? What does that mean?

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 19,045 Applies to: