How to get unique SharePoint Document Link, with good user experience?

SharePoint online is platform under consideration

At our firm we are centralizing our files (.pdf, .msg, .eml, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx etc.) in SharePoint. The use case that we have to share the url consistently in a manner if the files are moved/renamed url should remain same. 

Based on my research and experiment following are my understanding.

1. If file type is docx, xlsx, pptx you can simply copy the url from address bar and use it. Because for these file types url are being formed as 

https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/sites/<site>/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc=<{some id which is not GUID}>&file=<filename>.docx&action=default&mobileredirect=true

so for if I use this URL it will work consistently even if I move/rename the file.

2. If file type is not docx, xlsx, pptx then url that you copy from address bar looks something like this.

https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<site>/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=<file relative path>&parent=<folder relative path>

In this case if I move/rename the file URL breaks.

So question # 1. Is this something there in the road map to generate consistent url for each file types?

Document ID site collection feature

I enabled Document ID site collection feature as well. Document ID url work for both Microsoft and non-Microsoft files types. 

Observation: It take time 10 sec - couple of mins to adjust the redirect if file is moved/renamed. However getting the document id URL is not a one click step.

question # 2. Is there a easy way to get the document id url? 

question # 3. How can I make capturing document id url a one click process?

question # 4. Will Document ID feature continue to be part of Modern SharePoint?  Just wanted to make sure that this feature is not planned for deprecation.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Thanks Cliff for confirming that Document ID will continue to be part of SharePoint online. I will post my suggestion on SharePoint UserVoice.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2020 Views 22 Applies to: