Externally Shared PDFs Don't Fully Load with Link

I have a PDF report in a SharePoint Online document library, on a site created by Teams. The report has links in it, some to public/external sites but some are to internal files, also PDFs, also in the same library. (They're supporting documents for report.)

I've shared the library with myself as an external user (using a Gmail address), view-only, since we need to share the report externally and have both the external and internal links work. Using the Windows login associated with my Gmail account on a separate machine, I can view and access the folder/library that I gave myself access to. So far, so good.

I open the report. The links to the public sites work fine, whether they're to a website or PDF, but the links to the internal ones yield essentially an image of the first page of the linked-to PDF and then a forever-turning wheel-o'-waiting, which never finishes loading.

However, if I navigate to the file to which the link links and click the Name, they all open, no problem.

I have

·      * Tried every configuration of access available to me (link to view, link to edit, direct access), although it can't really be an access issue since I can directly click and open them fine.

·      * Put the report and the linked-to files in the same folder.

·      * Changed one of the library settings (Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Opening Documents in the Browser > Open in the client application).

·      * Reduced the size of one of the PDFs; it's now under 1M.

·      * Grabbed different links, including copying the link from the Name (which if you click it, opens fine) and tried it in a new tab/window – where it doesn't load.

·      * Saved the PDFs without the "Fast View" option on.
* Made myself a full member of the Teams team. (Not desired functionality but just to see.)

All to no avail.

Again, this is only about links, as far as I can tell. It's also only about PDFs, since Word documents and pngs seem to work fine. How do I get the PDFs to load like they're supposed to??

Hi Kim,

Sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.

I read your post carefully. Per your description, I did the same test from my side, and I noticed that I can reproduce the same problem.

In this regard, I recommend that you submit feedback to SharePoint UserVoice, which is the official suggestion box for SharePoint Online. Other users will also be able to vote on the same post so that it will increase the awareness coming from the related team. More votes will make the team more aware that this is a highly requested feature.

Appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,
Madoc

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, Madoc! (And thank you so much for the quick response.)

I'm glad you can reproduce it because then it's not just me. However, this is bug, not a suggestion. Is UserVoice the right place to log that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 22 Applies to: