Disable Desktop Sharing and File transfer in Skype for Business Online

Is it possible to completely disable Disable Desktop Sharing and File transfer (internal and external) in Skype for Business Online for most users and leave it enabled only for a few users?

As I understand it's not possible to create custom policies in S4BOnline? Are there predefined to policies to archieve that - disable desktop and file sharing? And can I apply these policies to groups of users? 

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2018 Views 12,406 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

hi rim,

yes, it's not feasible to create a  new conferencing policy in the online environment. i have also done some tests and research but found no built-in policy meeting the both two requirements at the same time, so we cannot achieve your goal for a group of users. however, based on my personal experience, you can refer to the following two methods to disable desktop sharing and file transfer for specific users separately:

1. you can follow the steps below to disable file transfer for specific users:

a. login to office 365 admin center with an admin account.
b. click admin button on the left panel, then click skype for business.
c. in the pop-up window, navigate to users, double-click the user to edit it.
d. in general, tick for compliance, turn off non-archived features.

e. save.

checking this option turns off features that aren’t captured when the organization has set up an in-place hold in the exchange admin center:
file transfer using instant messaging
shared onenote pages
powerpoint annotations
select this option if you’re legally required to preserve electronically stored information.

2. you can follow the steps below to disable desktop sharing for specific users using windows powershell:

a. connect to the skype for business powershell. (you need to install the skype for business powershell module and windows powershell 3.0).
b. run the following command, you can get some built-in policies in which the attribute enableappdesktopsharing is set to none
get-csconferencingpolicy | where-object {$_.enableappdesktopsharing -eq "none"}
c. you can choose one policy which meets your request and run the command to grant the policy to one user. please replace the policy name and the user identity when running the command.
grant-csconferencingpolicy -policyname tag:bpossimponlynorec -identity *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

feel free to post back if anything is unclear.

best regards,
aaron

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.