a Skype meeting the meeting window will unexpectedly disappears

I have two of my end user facing a similar problem with skype for business when they conducting a meeting (conference call) a meeting on  the first user state his issue as follow

"For the last two weeks (about), when I’m on a Skype meeting call through my computer the box that shows who is on the call and what I’m sharing (if anything) just disappears.  Sometimes the reduced version (only the mute/unmute and hang up button) reappears but not always.

The call still is going on through my speakers and what I’m sharing is still visible to the team on the call but I can’t see any of it so I can’t control the mute/unmute or hang up controls.

This is happening to other on my team, but it most affect me because I lead a lot of Skype conference calls."

the second user:

"I have been having a somewhat random issue with Skype for Business.  When I am in a Skype meeting the meeting window will unexpectedly close.  Sometimes this happens within a couple of minutes, other times it will be fine for much longer.  The audio continues, but I cannot mute or unmute, so I’m stuck in whatever state I was in when the window closed.  I can’t reopen the window unless I close Skype and reopen the application.  This problem does not seem to come up when I am in a conference call – it only happens during a Skype meeting.  I have Skype for Business installed on my personal laptop also, with the same issue.  I don’t have the problem on my cell phone.  Do you have any resolution for this?"

they both run windows 10 enterprise in their machine. I made sure they have the latest update of office 365. I run Office 365 pro repair , I also uninstall skype for business and reinstall skype for business but the problem still exist.

Please advice. 

Hello #Moh#,

From you description, I’d like to know Skype for Business full version number these two end user using?

You may let them try to clear caches:

1. Exit your Skype for business completely.

2. Right click the Windows icon in the lower left corner, then click “Run” in the dropdown list.

3. Copy the paste the following cmdlet in the search box: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync      

4. Click OK to navigate to that folder.

5. Delete the folders which start with sip_.

6. Delete all the sub-fodders under the folder Tracing, but don’t delete Tracing itself.

7. Re-open Skype for business.

If it not works, you may also let them try to perform a clean boot in Windows. This will helps eliminate whether the issue is caused by software conflicts. Restart Windows, only start Skype for Business to test if issue exists. Meanwhile, please also check System requirements for Office and try to update device adapter and drivers.

Best Regards,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello #Moh#,

From you description, I’d like to know Skype for Business full version number these two end user using?

You may let them try to clear caches:

1. Exit your Skype for business completely.

2. Right click the Windows icon in the lower left corner, then click “Run” in the dropdown list.

3. Copy the paste the following cmdlet in the search box: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync      

4. Click OK to navigate to that folder.

5. Delete the folders which start with sip_.

6. Delete all the sub-fodders under the folder Tracing, but don’t delete Tracing itself.

7. Re-open Skype for business.

If it not works, you may also let them try to perform a clean boot in Windows. This will helps eliminate whether the issue is caused by software conflicts. Restart Windows, only start Skype for Business to test if issue exists. Meanwhile, please also check System requirements for Office and try to update device adapter and drivers.

Best Regards,

Anna

Thank you Anna for the quick response, I will apply this on the user's machine and I will share my findings

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello #Moh#,

Thanks for your feedback. If you have further concerns, please feel free to share with us, I am here for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Betty

------------

*Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

*Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi #Moh#,

Do you have some updates to share with me?

Best Regards,

Betty

------------

*Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi #Moh#,

Do you have some updates to share with me?

Best Regards,

Betty

Betty,

The version for one of my user is

I cleared the cash and the clean boot but still the issue exist even after uninstall then reinstall Office 365 pro 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi #Moh#,

Since some features may be affected after Microsoft released newer Office version. I recommend you can try to update the Office suite to latest version for better and more stable using experience.

1. In Outlook client, navigate to File > Office Account.

2. Under Product Information, select Update Options > Update New.

For your reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-office-updates-2ab296f3-7f03-43a2-8e50-46de917611c5.

If your issue persists, please offer me the following information to further analyze the problem:

1. The screenshots of the wrong page.

2. Collect the log of Skype for Businesswhen the issue occurs and offer it to me.

· Make sure Logging in Skype for Business in Options > General > Help your support team help you is turned on (Light/Full).

· Paste “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\Tracing” in folder search box and go to the Tracing folder.

· Clear the files in Tracing folder and restart Skype for Business client.

· When the issue occurs again, go to Tracing folder to collect the logs.

To protect your privacy, please offer me the related log in Private Message( paste "https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox?Id=fad343db-f8ad-41b1-b9b7-816072f477ad" in the URL box ).

Best Regards,

Betty

------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi #Moh#,

Please let me know if you need further help.

Best Regards,

Betty

------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The window actually goes transparent or a minimize and doesn't appear in the taskbar. I find if I unplug my second monitor and then plug back it sometimes comes back. or after I unplug and back again (have to wait for all open windows to readjust), then I can alt+tab and the mini meeting window with popup for a second and it I click the profile image it will open back up. It usually disappears when my mouse is over the controls or images.

If you undock the Participants tile then when the meeting disappears you at least can control mute and other button features. We are moving to teams anyway so I guess this wont matter to me for too much longer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok the update fixed this issue. The user windows 10 virsion was 1703 also the Office version too. Every time I run Check for updatte in the Windwos update Setting I got a message saying there is no update so I download and run Windows 10 update Assestant  and it update the windows 10 version to version 1809 and that also update the Office 365 version to version 190. The user confirmed that fix the skype issue.

Thank you for the help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi #Moh#,

Please let me know if you need further help.

Best Regards,

Betty

Ok the update fixed this issue. The user windows 10 virsion was 1703 also the Office version too. Every time I run Check for updatte in the Windwos update Setting I got a message saying there is no update so I download and run Windows 10 update Assestant  and it update the windows 10 version to version 1809 and that also update the Office 365 version to version 190. The user confirmed that fix the skype issue.

Thank you for the help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 1,015 Applies to: