Skype for Business IM failed

I am sole user of newly installed Skype for Business.   My IM test failed.  The error message states cannot send due to company policy.  Which setting do I need to change? 

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hi Audrey,

Based on your description, I assume you was trying to send IMs to external contacts, right? If so, I’d like to confirm if you’re using Skype for Business Online services included in Office 365 or Skype for Business/Lync on-premises services? If the former, please refer to the article to turn on external sharing for your tenant, wait for some time to let the feature takes effect and then check if the issue persists(Please note: You need an administrator account for the steps).

However, if the issue persists, I’d like to collect the following information for troubleshooting:

1. In the Skype for Business client, click the gear icon > Help > About Skype for Business, let us know its detailed version.
  2. Which kind of contact did you try to send IMs to, Skype for Business users of another organization, Skype users or any other users?
  3. A screenshot of the error message for analysis.

Any updates will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the updates.

Since the external sharing may need some time to take effect, please wait for 24 hours and see if the issue persists. If so, let’s check the following information to troubleshoot the issue.

1. If you’re using the custom domain, please refer to this article to check whether you have added the Skype for Business needed SRV record to your domain correctly.
  2. Try adding another Skype user as contact, then send IM to this contact and see if the IM can be sent properly. This will help us identify if the issue is related to settings of specific Skype users.
  3. Try logging into Skype using a Microsoft account(For example, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***) yourself, and then test to see if you can send IM from your Skype for Business to this Microsoft account.
  4. The affected account for checking. For privacy concern, I have sent you a private message to collect it. You can click the following link to access the PM.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Best regards,

Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,165 Applies to: