OWA 365 skype shows replies in different chat

Hi

We have office 365, in my outlook  I can open Skype and send messages to a colleague. today I've noticed that when a colleague replies the replies show in a second chat.

Not even sure how it's possible to have two separate chats with the same person!

How can I stop this happening and have a normal chat history where messages show as one would expect a chat client to show past messages?

T

The messages that I sent; the last of these was even sent after the reply was received:

The reply in separate chat window:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi TobyV,

Based on my experience, if the user switch the client (switch from OWA to Skype for Business client in PC or mobile phone), the conversation initiator will get a separate window for the replies. So, to investigate the issue, I’d like to collect the following information:

1. Does the issue occur to all the replies from all the users?
  2. Which client does the user use to send the replies? Has the user changed the client during the conversation or signed into multiple clients at same time?
  3. Has the user signed out and signed in again to continue the conversation?

Thanks,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris,

Apparently my colleague received my messages in the desktop Skype app and replied to them in OWA - my initial messages did not show up in his OWA.

It seems to be more the rule than the exception that there are sync issues between the various methods of accessing Skype (for eg, I've now closed both of these chats but neither have not showed up in my OWA conversation history folder).

This is not (by far) the first time I, or others, have come across similar types of sync errors and I'm really puzzled as to how it can be so bad! I would assume that messages are stored in one, canonical place and that the various clients or apps etc simply access this store and display the data in whatever way they deem fit - - so how can these kind of "bugs" keep happening? Either I have been sent a message from some one person or I have not (and vice-versa), the message data is either there or it is not. How can one client see the same message history so differently to another client?

T

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your confirmation that the user did switched from the desktop Skype client to the Skype application in OWA before replying. That’s why you saw the replies in different windows. Your understanding is much appreciated.

Meanwhile, I understand it will be much more convenient if the entire conversation history can be restored in a central place and various clients or apps can simply access this store and display the data in whatever devices. Thus, it’s suggest you vote for the feature via this link:
https://www.skypefeedback.com/forums/299913-generally-available/suggestions/8628661-continous-conversation-im-roaming-across-devices

In addition, regarding ‘I've now closed both of these chats but neither have showed up in my OWA conversation history folder’, based on my test, we need to wait for some time before closing the conversation so the record can be kept in the conversation history folder.  Please wait a bit longer to see if the conversation can be preserved.

Thanks,
Sam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

Do you need any further assistance?

Thanks,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Conversation record does not show in the conversation history folder.

IIRC anytime previously that I've seen any of these sync hiccups such chats also did not ever show up in the conversation history.

Is the issue solved? Not really.

Can you provide me any further assistance aside from actually fixing the product? I think not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

I’d like to assist you regarding the issue that the conversations are not saved in the Conversation History. As Sam mentioned above, conversations may take some time to appear in the Conversation History folder. To investigate the issue, I’d like to confirm the following information:

1. Does the issue occur to all the conversations with any other users?
  2. If the issue occurs to all the conversations, it means the Conversation History folder is empty. Does the issue also occur other users in your organization? If yes, I suggest you turn to the admin to check if the feature is disabled.
  3. If the issue only occurs to part of the conversations, have you tried to search for the missing conversations in the folder, can those conversations be found?
  4. In addition, is there any common ground of the affected conversations? Does the issue occur to conversations with specific users or specific Skype for Business clients?

Thanks,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

Could you provide the information I mentioned when you have time?

Thanks,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chris,

1. No the issue occurs with only (seemingly) random conversations here and there with differing users.
  2. No other users have mentioned to me that they have seen this behavior with the conversation history and our admin does not see this in his use. 
  3. No the conversations do not show up if I search. However I have seen that the same missing conversations do show in a colleagues conversation history just fine. 
  4. I have not been able to determine commonality other than users using and switching between a variety of clients such as Skype on Win 7, Skype on Android, Skype for business, Skype in OWA in different browsers, and so on (depending on the user's preferences at a given time, are they on mobile or not, etc).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the information.

As the issue occurs when the other user switches between variety of clients and two chat windows appear, I’d like to know if the conversation records in both two windows are missing.

Based on your first post, I found you are using Skype for Business in OWA. Do you use other clients? If yes, Does the issue occur when you initial a conversation in other clients?

In addition, please provide the OWA version. To get it, right-click in OWA and select View source. In the pop-up page, find an item like the following screenshot.

Thanks,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Chris,

Yes, the conversations from both windows are missing. That conversation took place on the same day I opened this thread, 6th October, I have no conversation records from that day (I think it was the only conversations I had over Skype on that day).

I only use OWA myself at the moment.

Version number is 16.1449.13.2125231 according to the msapplication-TileImage meta tag content.

T

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 247 Applies to: