How to use Skype for Business with Shared Mailbox?

Hi

Trying to setup Skype Meeting from a Shared Mailbox but it fails with "The person you are scheduling on behalf of is not UC enabled or there may be configuration issues with the account..."

As it is not a real user, we cannot set the delegate permissions.

Where do we set the settings? I could not see anything in 365 admin.

Is it a special powershell command

Thanks

|

Hi Micro20100,

Based on my knowledge, the Skype for Business Online license is required if you would like to use the features with the mailbox.

Since a shared mailbox doesn't have licenses, it's possibly a normal behavior. You can try assigning license to the shared mailbox to see whether it works. For any updates, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,
Henry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I am not sure I understand. You cannot assign a license to a shared mailbox

The user that has access to the shared mailbox has E3 license, which includes Skype

When he accesses the shared mailbox calendar, to setup a Skype for Business, he can't

If he was able to, the Skype meeting would take place using the user's Skype applicatuib , on behalf of the shared mailboxe which was the organiser of the meeting.

For Shared Mailbox, you can set 'Send As" permission for email. However, I could not find any similar setting for Meeting with Skype.

It instead of a shared mailbox it was another user, the other user would set the delegate settings in order for the other user to organise meeting with Skype on their behalf. This is not possible with a shared mailbox

There is probably a way to do it using powershell, but I do not know the command or/and syntax.

Hopefully, someone in the community might have an idea

Thanks

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Micro20100,

Thanks for the updates.

A shared mailbox can be assigned licenses just like normal users. You are able to find shared mailboxes in the active users list in Office 365 admin center and edit the licenses.

After assigning the license, please make sure the user has the delegate permission configured via Outlook to the shared mailbox calendar. Then the user should be able to set up Skype for Business meetings on behalf of the shared mailbox.

For a shared mailbox without license, the feature is not available. Both users have to be Skype for Business enabled and delegate need to be configured in Outlook.

Regards,
Henry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Henri

Before I go ahead with the purchase of a **** license for the shared mailbox, would you be able to expand on the delegate permission?

In Outlook, the user can only assign delegates to his own mailbox. How does the mailbox assign the user as a delegate?

Also, searching on the internet, there some conflicting messages: some people say it works only if you have the voice component of ****, and other say that it works only with Lync server on premise, not with Skype Online on Office 365

For extra troubleshooting, I used another user mailbox (a real user, not a shared mailbox). The mailbox calendar was shared and also the delegate was set.

UserA was able to open open USerB calendar and was able to setup a meeting on his behalf. However, he was not able to setup a Skype Meeting (same error message). Both users have E3 licenses and **** installed

So, really I need to know exactly if

1: users can setup Skype Meetings on behalf on another user, when using Office 365

2: users can setup Skype Meeting on behalf on a shared mailbox, when using Office 365

If it is possible, could you please provide the exact sequence of instruction to achieve it?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Micro20100,

To modify the shared mailbox permissions in Outlook client, right-click the shared mailbox folder, then choose Data File Properties… > Permissions tab > Add > after selecting the user, now you can edit the type of permission for the user by choosing one of the drop down menu or by selecting options on the read and delete categories.

Yes you can assign a license to a Shared Mailbox.

But during my tests, after assigning the license to the shared mailbox, now it shows a different permission error that only happens in outlook client.

As a workaround you can use the option (open another mailbox) in OWA to create Skype for Business meetings. It will work even the shared mailbox has no license.

Based on our team review and tests on this issue, this is an expected behavior. This occurs as the SMTP domain is not the same as the sip user domain.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Ruel

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2021 Views 24,909 Applies to: