Microsoft Publisher Website Designer

I'm using Microsoft Publisher to design a webpage on a computer equipped with Windows 7.  When I publish the site I would like to have the webpage centered but I can't figure out to make this happen.  Is there a way to have the content centered when I publish it?  I should also note that my web-host is Go Daddy.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2020 Views 1,180 Applies to:

Assuming that you are using Publisher 2007 then the following should work.

Publisher web pages are fixed width and left justified by default. If you want centered pages the only way we have found to do it over the years is to edit the code directly after you produce it. However you can simulate centered pages. Read the following article for a description of one way to do that.

Reference: Understanding background padding in a Publisher web (aka whitespace):
http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80563.aspx

As per the centering pages workaround, here is a set of directions if you choose to try it:

When you "Publish to the Web" direct the output (the index.htm file and the index_files folder if you are using the subfolder option) to a folder on your computer where you can find it. Each of your *.htm files requires adding a centering code after the existing  </head> code.

Method 1: Manual method.

Go to the folder on your computer where you directed your web files.

Open each *.htm file in NotePad by right clicking the file > open with > NotePad. If you are using the subfolder option in Pub 2003 or 2007, your index.htm file is your home page, and your other *.htm files for your other pages are usually contained in a subfolder called "index_files".

Find the </head> code, and replace with:

</head><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="760"align="center"><tr><td>

If you are using a page width that is different than 760 pixels, change the width in the code string with the width of your web pages. Close NotePad and save the changes. If you are using inches for measurement, multiply the width in inches by 96 and use that number.

After editing the code on each *.htm file, you can upload your files to your host.

Method 2: Semi-automatic method.

With this method you can find the </head> code, and replace it with the revised code string in each *.htm file semi-automatically.

Download and install the free "Replace In Files" program:
http://www.emurasoft.com/index.htm

Open "Replace in Files". The four boxes in the "Replace in Files" program require the following information:

Find: </head>

Replace with: </head><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="760"align="center"><tr><td>
(Note: the code string may wrap in this message, but it is one line. Also change the width to the pixel width of your web pages. If you are using inches for measurement, multiply the width in inches by 96 and use that number.)

File Types: *.htm

In Folder: Use the ... button to browse to the folder where you directed your web files on your computer when you Publish to Web.

Assuming that you are using a subfolder, check the box at the bottom "Replace in Subfolders".

Click "Replace All", and you should get a "Finished" dialog that will confirm the replaced strings of code for each *.htm file/page in your web files.

After editing the code you can upload your index.htm file and your index_files folder to your host.

You will have to run Replace in Files each time you modify your Pub file and produce new web files. However, once the options in Replace in Files are filled out and the "Replace all" is selected, the entries are retained for the next time you use the program. Also once you get this process to work correctly it is an easy two click process in the future, so don't let it intimidate you.

DavidF

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message

unless you don't want to be taken seriously, don't use publisher

Not so fast . . .  hold on a minute.

When it comes to producing a well presented and well structured website, Publisher 2000, 2003, 2007 can do it as well as any other web editing software.

DavidF2 and I have been doing it for many years, mostly with Publisher 2000 which is the best version for this purpose.

Granted that Publisher does not lend itself to responsive design, although experimentation is still in progress. Granted also that designing websites with Publisher requires experience and a knowledge of HTML, Javascript, JQuery, and CSS.

But Publisher CAN produce good looking websites dotted with trendy web features.

As to professional web designers, lately I have seen too many glossy websites with very little important information for the consumer. Producing a flashy website does not equate with designing an effective website.

Geoffrey

May the Publisher force be with you

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Chased that poster right away didn't you? <g> Good on you.

DavidF

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow !  He removed his post. I didn't expect this.

By the way David, the email address you gave me earlier did not work. The message I sent you came back to me.

Geoffrey

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not sure what email address I gave you but I just tested this one and it should work. Make note and I will remove it in a couple days.[edit]

DavidF

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the address you gave me before, but I'll try it again.

You can remove it now.

Geoffrey

Sorry this didn't help.

No, it didn't work again. Came straight back with error message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[Address deleted for security reasons]
    Unrouteable address

Geoffrey

PS: If you don't want the address to appear on this forum, send me a valid address via my personal website.

Sorry this didn't help.

[edit] Sorry, I apparently got too clever and assumed you would figure that out.

DavidF

Sorry this didn't help.

That's exactly what I was thinking afterwards, but at the time I followed your instruction to the letter.

OK, I'll try again a little later.

Geoffrey

Sorry this didn't help.