MS Publisher - Office 2010 version, dimensions not consistent

I've use Publisher for years, most recently from Office 2007.  I recently upgraded to Office 2010 under Windows 10 and have discovered something disconcerting.

When I pull a guide line from the top ruler and place it at my origin, or 'zero' point, the tick mark on the vertical ruler agrees with the 'abolute' position readout at the bottom of the screen.  You can tell that the blue guideline is right on the tic mark, as the mark turns from blue to gray:

Next I pull another horizontal guideline down from the top ruler and set it right on the quarter-inch tick mark.  But the digital readout down below says I'm actually at 0.24", not 0.25":

To get the readout to say I'm at a quarter of an inch, I have to move my guideline up about one third of a thirty-second, like this:

Perhaps this is no big deal in desktop publishing; ten thousandths is not a visual eyesore, but in doing silkscreen art for panels it does make a difference.  This never happened in earlier versions of the program, and I'll be surprised if it hasn't already been addressed in the years that Office 2010 has been out. 

The question is, which measurement is right: the ruler or the readout?  Help!

Moved from: Office / Publisher / Other/unknown / Office 2010

|
Answer
Answer

Based on your analysis and experimentation, I would trust the ruler marks to be accurate and the 'digital readout' to have a glitch. Your experiment with the 3/4" rectangle provides your proof that the ruler guides are accurate.

I have no idea of how to fix the 'digital readout' aberration. Sorry.

With your attention to detail you may find this unsatisfactory. In which case consider going back to Pub 2007. I am from the school of 'if it ain't broke, then don't fix it'. Many would argue that Pub 2007 was the best version of Publisher and that with the change over to the ribbon menu, Publisher started going down hill.

You can run both Office and Pub 2010 and Publisher 2007 at the same time. I run 5 versions of Publisher on this computer. You might want to keep Pub 2010 at least for the short term and if you want to do a email merge you must use the same versions of Outlook and Publisher. But that does not mean you can't do the majority of your production work with Pub 2007.

When you start the installation you will get the option to use a default or a custom installation. Always choose a custom. You will also get the option to overwrite other Office installations. Be sure to choose the option to keep other installations.

Once you choose the custom installation you will have the option to install into a default directory or folder. I would suggest you create a custom folder and install there. For example the default is likely to be the Program Files\Microsoft Office folder. Change that to Program Files\Publisher2007 as an example. It will make it easier to manage and help insure that you do not overwrite anything in the other installation.

At some point you will also get the option of what parts of Office to install. You will want to uncheck everything except Publisher. See this reference and scroll down about half way and you will see the options under the Installations Options tab. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17342/upgrade-office-2003-to-2010-on-xp-or-run-them-side-by-side/#comment-107651

Anything you do not want to install you choose the Not Available option. Technically you can run multiple versions of Office but it is probably best to not install multiple versions of Word or Excel and you cannot run multiple versions of Outlook. But to keep things clean you probably should just install Publisher unless you have a need for Access, etc.

Here are a couple other references for more details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447/en-us

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=762

All the referenced articles may discuss different versions but the principles are the same.

I would suggest you download and save the Office 2007 SP3 for future installations. At some point MSFT is likely to remove access to it. I also do not allow automatic updates...too many times MSFT breaks something in an effort to fix something else.

Reference: Office SP3 download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27838&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2=True

Yes, Publisher and Office 2007 reaches the end of its support lifecycle this year, meaning there will be no new security updates but I don't really care about that. Publisher has never been a favorite target of hackers and IMHO there is little risk in running the older versions.

- Office 2007 and newer are/were 'certified' to be compatible and Andre Da Costa found all versions back to 2000 would run with the exception of Outlook 2000.

DavidF

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 80 Applies to: