Two resource to work on one task at the same time

My scenario is :

I need Resource A and Resource B to work on Task X at the same time.

I want auto-schedule to also take into account any holidays a resource may have and keep the two resources working on the task at the same time.

I tried this with a two day tasks with both resources working both days and putting in some holiday time for one of the resources.

But either I end up with only one resources calendar being checked (rather than both) for holiday like they are substitute resources (as seen via inspect-task information ) or the system spreads the task over 3 days to avoid the one holiday day I put in, but this is not suitable as both resources must work together on all days not just some of them.

Please help! How can I ensure both resources work on the task at the same time and keep using auto-schedule?

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2018 Views 1,586 Applies to:

PM-Steve --

Microsoft Project does not work the way you expect.  There is no way to force the software to automatically schedule the two resources to work together on every day of the task.  To work around this limitation, you would need to manually contour the work of the resource who is not taking a vacation day.  To do this, navigate to the Task Usage view.  For the resource who is NOT taking a vacation day, type a 0 in the Work field of the timephased grid on the day that the other resource is taking vacation.  Then contour the work hours of the who who is not taking a vacation day to match the work hours of the one who is taking a vacation day.  I will warn you:  this can be a lot of work to maintain manually.  But the software cannot do this for you automatically.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Another potential work around that I have used:  create a task calendar that contains the non-working time for both resources and assign that calendar to the task.  By default Project will schedule the task for working time in common between the task calendar and the resource(s) calendar.  If Resource B is on holiday and that holiday is maintained in the Task Calendar, Project will not schedule work for Resource A on the task either.
It is not fool proof and requires maintenance of the task calendar as well as the resource(s) calendar(s).

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Dale Howard [MVP] your swift responce has saved me time, I'd already spent some trying to find a setting or a way, but I'm glad I asked rather than persisted un-aided.  I would like MS to put in a new feature though, nesesary collaboration or even just preferable isn't too rare amoung resources. Thank you for the tips on how to approach this too!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Julie Sheets! I may do this. It's quite close to what I wanted from an overall perspective; of being able have take the project plan to client whose resources need to collaborate with my own firms staff and easily enter in their staffs availability in to form an initial basis for the plan.

Sorry this didn't help.

You are most welcome PM-Steve and thank you for the feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed that Project doesn't do this.  Many of my students have asked about two-person tasks.  An example is moving a heavy dresser.  It's not like one person can move their half of the dresser upstairs today while the 2nd person is out sick.  Again, the scheduling of the task is bound by the resources assigned, their calendars, etc.  If there was a way to have project be told 'when you reschedule this task to accommodate resource A's lack of availability or for leveling reasons, move the other person's assignment too'.  Easier said than done.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I wrote an article with the solution many years ago.

Look at http://users.online.be/prom-ade

And click through to Microsoft Project: an abstract.

In short: both resources MUST have the same calendar

Holidays or other reasons of unavailability are represented by TASKS with fixed dates.

Then Resource leveling with the option "Leveling can move individual assignments on a task"  OFF does the trick.

Greetings,

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.