How to make multiple decks from same source slides?

Here's my scenario:

1. I teach a FIVE DAY and a THREE DAY class.
2. The THREE DAY class is a subset of the FIVE DAY class.

My goal is that whenever I have a change (in either class)... I want to make it to ONE place, and have both the FIVE DAY class and THREE DAY class auto-update.

How would I do that?

PS: For argument's sake, assume I have *NO* slides that are EXTRA / ONLY in the THREE day class that are NOT in the FIVE DAY class.

As you can imagine, my routine right now is to:

1. Edit the slide I'm on and..
2. Find the same slide in the "other" presentation and...
3. Manually edit that.
(Annoying).

Thanks in advance.

PS: I can take an answer for Office 2010 or Office 2013 (if different,)
Answer
Answer
There are ways to do this with slide libraries. Someone who is good at that will hopefully chime in here. Another way to do this is with custom shows. What you might do is have an opening slide that has two buttons: 5-day and 3-day. The buttons can be hyperlinked to the correct custom show. A custom show is simply a specific set of slides within the presentation in whatever order you choose. Because all the slides are the slides from the show, any change to a slide will change the custom show. It would just be trickier if you decided to add slides.

In fact, you could simplify this with one custom show for the 3-day presentation. The 5-day button could just go to the next slide because you want to show all the slides.

Finally, you could do it without buttons by going to Slide Show > Set Up Show before the presentation and choosing to show all the slides or just the Custom Show.

David Marcovitz
Author of Powerful PowerPoint for Educators
http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/
David Marcovitz
Author of Powerful PowerPoint for Educators
http://PowerfulPowerPoint.com/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2022 Views 203 Applies to: