Live versus Built In themes

When choosing a theme from the theme gallery that is not one of the fist nine (apparently they are the only "built-in" themes) it resaves the theme in a live content folder, and you can never access the original live theme again.  E.g. I chose the 'Basis' theme and did some customization to it.  I started a new presentation and wanted to start over with the Basis theme, but it was no longer in my theme gallery and I could not find it in an online search.  How to I access live themes more than once?

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2017 Views 429 Applies to:
Hello,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From your description, I understand that you are unable to access downloaded/customized themes.

I will assist you with the issue, however I require additional information for better assistance:

After downloading/customizing the theme, do you save it on your computer?

Save the theme on your computer following the instructions mentioned in the below link, close and restart PowerPoint and try accessing it again and verify the result:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/powerpoint-help/customize-and-save-a-theme-in-powerpoint-2010-HA010338409.aspx#BM5

Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result for further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Daniel,

I can save the customized theme with no problem.  The problem is that I cannot access or find the "original" themes (other than the built-in themes) after I customize them.  For example, Basis, Wood-Type, etc.  These themes were available in my gallery, presumably from Office online theme, but once I use/customize them I cannot get the originals back in the gallery.

Thanks for your help.

Janine 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

After customizing the theme, how are you saving the theme?

To save a customized theme, click on Design tab > click on More(v) dialog box option beside Effects and the click on Save Current Theme and select Desktop > click on Save and verify if you’re able to access the save customized theme
Note: The revised theme is saved as a .thmx file in the Document Themes folder on your local drive and it is automatically added to the list of custom themes on the Design tab in the Themes group.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/powerpoint-help/customize-and-save-a-theme-in-powerpoint-2010-HA010338409.aspx#BM5

Reply with the result for further assistance.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your continued efforts.  As mentioned, it is not the revised, customized .thmx file that I am having trouble finding; it is the original live content .thmx file that is the problem.  The live content themes are originally stored in the ...\live content\managed... folder.  Once you select one of those themes, whether or not you choose to save it, it is automatically moved from the ...managed... folder to a ...\live content\user... folder or in some cases, a ...\customized themes\ folder depending on what you do with it.  In most cases the original theme still appears in the themes gallery, but instead of the tip displaying the name of the theme, it displays the path to the customized theme.  Thus, if you want to start a new presentation with the original theme (not the customized theme) you cannot see the theme name and in some cases it may not even appear in the themes gallery.  I have been working with Microsoft support to resolve the issue and the developers now have enough information to fix this issue.  We are expecting an update in the next 2-3 weeks to resolve the issue.

Thanks again,

Janine 

Sorry this didn't help.

Janine,

I was wondering if you ever resolved this issue. I am having a similar problem with 2013 where all I see are the "built-in" themes not the other live content themes. I can't seem to get them back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Catherine,

I know Microsoft escalated the problem to Tier 3 support.  I was not notified when it was fixed, but after testing it today, my problem has been fixed.

Thanks for responding,

Janine

Sorry this didn't help.