we're sorry something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable 2016

I have PP slides that have embedded objects/files (Excel and Minitab).  I used to be able to just double click on the embedded file and it would open.  Now I get the above message.  I have had 3 IT people look at it but no answer.  The files and slides are not corrupted since they will open on everyone else's computer.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Office.  I have tried repairing Win 10.  I have tried every hint after Googling this problem.  I have looked at the replies on this site.  I cleaned up my registry and cleaned the computer.  I have disabled my anti virus to see if that helps.  So far, NOTHING.  I tried creating a new slide with an embedded object/file, same message. It is the only functionality that doesn't work.  Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem?  Thanks
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try following one by one as see after every step whether it resolves the issue (I am assuming your file format is *.pptx not *.ppt) -

1. Sometimes, add-ins can cause problems. To determine, if add-in is a problem start your application in safe mode and see if problem has gone away.

To start in Safe Mode -

Hold CTRL key and click on application icon and don't release the CTRL key till it asks you for Safe mode confirmation.

If yes, then start application normally and disable add-ins one by one and start application again every time you disable an add-in to determine the culprit add-in.

2. Try repairing your office installation (Quick repair is good enough). Try repairing your Office installation. First try Quick Repair (takes 5 - 10 mins) , if that doesn't help then try Online Repair (Takes more than 30 mins but less than 1 hour in general)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

3. Login to Windows with a new user profile and see if problem is resolved.

4. Right click on Powerpoint icon > Run As Administrator > Now, open the file

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Faced the same and after looking into it a bit more found that the issue was related to the PPT file being created on an older version of PowerPoint. Saved the file as "PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation" opened it and then converted to the updated version from Export>Change File Type. 

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also facing same error while I try to Copy Paste table from excel sheet to Powerpoint using paste special option of Keeping source Formatting. It does not allow mw to paste and gives this error. I have tried reinstalling and seeking help from IT team. They Tired quick repair and online repair and than reinstalling of Office 365 but nothing seems to fix this issue. I tried working in safe mode and and changing file type as well but that is also not working. The strange thing is that it was working fine with same excel sheet and same PPT 2 days ago. and all of sudden its giving me this error nothing changed in setting or installation. Did any one get this resolved ?

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I can't help.  Have the same issue which started this week (June 12 to be exact).  The paste "use destination styles" and "keep source formatting" do not work.  The other pastes - embed, picture, text still work OK.  Hope someone can sort this out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you happen to find a solution to this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,  I dont know the fix, but I can narrow down the cause.  A recent office update from June 12th seems to be causing this.  

My colleague had the same issue (couldn't paste from excel to powerpoint 'we're sorry...' error message)

I tried on my PC and it worked fine. I noticed office was asking me to do an office update so I ran to see if this was the culprit.

As soon as excel/powerpoint restarted I tried the exact same copy/paste and received the same error message as my colleague.

Now, we both cannot copy from Excel to PowerPoint :)

I checked Programs and Features, Show Updates but there is no office update in there to uninstall.

If you've recently applied the office update you could try a System Restore Point to before the update applied otherwise you'll have to wait until someone finds a fix or another update comes out to fix it.

June Office 2016 updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4299875/june-2018-updates-for-microsoft-office (half way down page)
Possibly: KB4022174

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Issue started about 2 - 3 days ago. Is Microsoft Office Team aware of this? 

When copying cells from excel to powerpoint in 2016 64 bit, there is a generic error that OP posted. 

System Restore is not an option as windows patch updates are scheduled via SCCM in our environment. 

This issue seems to occur only on Office 2016 64bit. Tried and tested on 32 bit and no reports of this issue. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just reinstalled windows thinking it was left over reg strings from previous office installs, it wasn't.

The latest update or install package must be to blame.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The paste functionality is now working this morning (6/18).  Someone was listening.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2021 Views 66,595 Applies to: