Unable to hear sound from PowerPoint presentation when emailed

Since moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and Office 2010 I am experiencing problems with audio.  I make a presentation with various slides and insert audio from file, and the slides and audio play perfectly with extensions pptx and ppsx.  The problem is I emailed the presentation to myself to test that everything was ok and there was no sound.  I have tried and re-tried various audios to no avail.  Could someone please help me.  I have done many presentations using windows 7 and never had any problems.  Thank you.

[Original Title: Powerpoint 2010]

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

Your sound files are linked and not embedded. Music or sounds can be embedded into PowerPoint presentations only if you use a WAV file format.

You may also check the following thread which discusses about the similar issue and see if it helps.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-powerpoint/is-there-a-way-to-enable-the-sound-on-a/ca267937-3f5e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Hope it helps. If you have further questions related to this, please let me know.

Thank you.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

"Your sound files are linked and not embedded. Music or sounds can be embedded into PowerPoint presentations only if you use a WAV file format."

That is absolutely untrue in 2010 though if you are copy pasting old answers it might have applied to earlier versions.

PowerPoint 2010 can embed most audio formats

www.pptalchemy.co.uk

Sorry this didn't help.

Sound files are usually large, have you noticed a decrease in presentation file size after receiving the emailed show compared to the original?
Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", now available
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the quick response.  I have checked and the audio is contained in the presentation.  I sent the presentation to myself and there was no sound.  I have tried inserting numerous audio files, the presentation itself is only about 689KB so comparatively small.  Since writing to you have sent myself previous presentations (powerpoint 2007) and the sound plays.  Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Please try the following:

1. Find the file size of the presentation.
  2. Insert a sound file and save. Find the size of the presentation. If it's not larger, the sound file was linked rather than embedded and will not travel with the PowerPoint file. Here's an article that explains the difference: Embedded and linked sound files in a presentation
  3. If the file is larger, email it to yourself.
  4. Download the emailed presentation to your hard disk and check the file size. If it's smaller, your sound file was stripped out in the sending process. If that's the case, try zipping the presentation before emailing it and see if that helps.
Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", now available
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kathleen I used to not have problems with e mailing ppsx files into which I had embedded mp3 audio as used in power point 2010 and windows 7 however it appears that with some of the latest updates to windows 10 Microsoft has decided that the sound be blocked when emailed to friends. If you save the email into your video/powerpoint files, then go in there and right click on it go to properties and close to the bottom there is an unblocked box , tick this and the sound plays. Your friends would have to  do the same . I have yet to get a reasonable answer from the Microsoft people on how to unblock the sound before sending it in an email. If you can get an answer I would appreciate you letting me know

Have a nice day

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Fred,

Could you expound on this more? Not sure where this box that one clicks on to unblock the sound is. I have Lotus Notes..

I just had an issue where I embedded a music file MP3 into a PPT 2010 file, it played perfectly, and emailed it to the client. They tested it and it worked fine on their laptop (all PCs) I emailed it to myself and it worked fine. When it was presented in front of 100 people the sound did not play. Very upsetting...Trying to figure out what the issue was and if it was with the PPT or with their AV.

Thanks

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2020 Views 19,602 Applies to: